Cinderella's Chapter Two

My step sister finally stormed down, her hair a mess. My step mother was no where to be seen.

"Where's Mum?" Stas asked. Ann rolled her eyes at me, then turned to her brother to answer.

"I dunno. Sleeping, probably." she answered.

"What was that thump?" I piped up. Ann's glare was colder than the frost outside.

"Me, falling out of bed." she cooly answered.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" I gasped.

"Ha." was all Ann said. I shrugged, and continued eating.
,.,

When my step mother came down breakfast was over. I looked up from my book, wondering what she was going to do.

"Ells!" she shouted. I winced at the shout; I was in the room with her!

"Yes, mother?" I asked.

"Make me breakfast." she ordered, crossing her arms. I raised an eyebrow at her.

"I baked some fresh bread. There's some butter. I hope you can at least make that." is what I wanted to say.
But I didn't.

"Yes, mother." I mumbled, rushing away.

The truth is that I'm terrified of my step mother.
That and I was always taught to respect my elders and to be kind to all.

,.,

I was collection eggs from the chickens when my father's wagon came back. I sprinted over, tossing the basket aside.

I waited, bouncing on my heels, for father to come out.

He didn't. I didn't panic, though. Maybe he had to stay somewhere, or was on a different wagon.

"Are you Ells?" the driver asked.

"Yes. Why? Is my father okay?" I asked.

"...how old are you, son?" the driver asked.

"Seventeen now, sir. Just turned it today!" I answered, smiling. The driver sighed, shutting his eyes.

"Your father is deathly ill. He could get better but it's unlikely." the driver said, his voice soft.

"Thank you for telling me. Was his trip a success or...?" I asked, hiding my tears.

"Yes. He sends home all the money he got and the money your family already has. And this," the driver hands me two branches.

One from our garden.

And one from the end of his journey.

Tears stung my eyes but I held them back.

"Thank you." I choked out, taking the branches and the small bag of money. I hid the bag in my shirt, not wanting my step family to get it.

"He could live through it." the driver reminded me.

"Then I'll hold onto that hope." I whispered.