Cinderella's Chapter Five

I listened to my step mother talk about how the town was and other pointless details. I hummed, praying they wouldn't hear.

"Did we get any mail?" Stas asked around a mouthful of bread.

"I don't know, as Ells." Ann replied, setting her tea down.

"Ells!" Stas shouted. I rolled my eyes, grabbing the invitations and mine. I pretended to open mine as I handed the rest over.

I braced myself for the screech Ann and my step mother were about to scream.

"Will we have enough for a suit and the dresses? And masks?" Stas asked, since he probably saw the whole thing as a waste of time.

"I'm not sure. Ells, go check."

I rushed away, and placed enough money for the four of us to have clothes.

"We have enough!" I yelled, shoving the money bag back into the cinders. They never go near this old fireplace.

I groaned as cinders now covered my clothes. I dusted most of it off.

"...honestly, Ells' name is too elegant for him." I heard my step mother say.

I pretended to ignore the remark.

"He's covered in cinders!" Ann cackled.

"Pft, Cinderells!" Stas crowed. I ignored them.

"We have enough! Thank goodness." my step mother said calmly, sipping her tea.

"When can we go shopping, Mum?" Ann gushed, over the hilariousness of my new name.

"Tomorrow. Ells will come to help Stas."

"And to get my own suit!" I snapped, patience gone.

"What?"

"All edgible people to attend! I'm edgible!" I explained, my voice raising slightly.

"If you can make your own suit, you can go," my step mother cooly said. I nodded, glaring at her.