Chapter 1: Making the Jutsu

Naruto and Hinata sat panting with their backs against each other. They gazed around at the destruction around them. The Hidden Leaf Village was completely gone. Fires raged all around them, burning what rubble there was. Everything was gone. Naruto and Hinata had only survived because of Kurama's chakra protecting them. At the last second Kurama had let out a blast of chakra that knocked away their assailant and protected the couple from the blast. The attack had come out of no where. They didn't even know who was responsible for this tragedy. But everyone was gone. Naruto couldn't sense any of their friends. Hinata couldn't see anyone with a functioning chakra system. Everyone was gone. No one from the Hidden Leaf was left. Grief was flooding Hinata's system to the point where she just shut it all out and focused on the one good thing she had left. Naruto was still with her.

"Naruto." A long pause.  "What are we going to do?"

Naruto just sighed. "I," breath, "don't know.  I'm having a hard time even accepting this. How could this have happened?"

Hinata just closed her eyes and shifted so her head was laying on Naruto's lap. "I don't know."

They just laid there. Hours or minutes possibly even a day had passed and they hadn't moved. They were in shock from their loss. Naruto's mind was racing with the 'what if's'. What if he had been more alert. What if he had attacked differently. In the confusion an idea tickled in the back of Naruto's mind. Kurama, who had been grieving too, picked up on the sudden change of his friend's mind.

"You're on to something kid. I'll help, but talk it out with Hinata."

Naruto nodded slowly before looking down to gaze into Hinata's saddened yet still beautiful eyes. "Hey Hinata."

"What is it?" Her response was sluggish as she stirred herself from the depths of her own mind.

"What if we go back to before this all started."

Hinata sat up slowly and looked at her husband. They had been married less than three months at this point.

"What do you mean?" The quizzical look on her eyes made him pause for a second before continuing.

"What if we go back in time to before everything went wrong. And not just this disaster. What if we go back to before the war?"

Hinata considered it for a minute. She gave a nod but then paused. "How would we even do something like that?"

Naruto grimaced. "I've been trying to figure that out but I'm not good at thinking about how to make my own Jutsu. I was thinking it would work like the Flying Rajin jutsu. Just through time instead of distance."

Hinata paused and laid down on Naruto's lap again. She had created a new jutsu on accident when they were  on the moon. She had implemented a new chakra into her own and revamped her twin lion fist creating a new jutsu. But she hadn't had to do technical hand sign creation.

"How do you plan on creating it?" She looked Naruto in the eyes and saw his desperation to do something.

"I don't know, Hinata." His defeated tone made her wince slightly. She didn't like seeing the man she loved so beaten down.

Kurama then spoke to Naruto. "Naruto let me out so I can talk too."

Naruto paused. "Kurama's coming out." A trick he had only recently learned how to do on command. It helped when Kurama wanted to actively take part in a conversation like now.

A burst of chakra and then there was a six-foot tall fox sitting next to the couple. He looked at the young couple. Defeat was etched into their posture. He had an idea but it was risky.

"Naruto. I think it's possible but it will take a while. A week maybe. You two will have to plan out the hand signs and buildup enough chakra. You'll also need an anchor to the time you want to go to. Like how you need the seal markings to use the Flying Rajin Technique."

Naruto gazed at Hinata.  They could do it but it would be dangerous.

Hinata looked her husband dead in the eye. She saw his hesitation and worry. But she shook her head at him. They would do this. There was nothing left for them here.

"We'll do it. Kurama, do you think that maybe you could be the anchor? Since you are a chakra being you don't change much in a physical sense. If we follow you back it could take us back to where we need to go."

Kurama sat back and thought about it. It could definitely work. He nodded and Naruto gave Hinata a kiss on the cheek, happiness beaming from his face even in the face of all the destruction around them.

Now Naruto added, "If we work it into a seal we can reduce the number of hand signs by a large amount. It'll have to work like the Flying Rajin but with the trouble of time versus distance. The jutsu folds over space. We just have to make that space be measured in time not distance."

All three nodded. They had a long path ahead of them. They set to work.

______

One week later

Naruto and Hinata sat on the ground. Back to back with hands intertwined on each side. They sat in the middle of a giant seal on the ground. One hundred feet in diameter it was the largest most intricate seal Naruto had ever created. And he couldn't have done it on his own. Hinata's eye for detail and her calculating mind had helped greatly.

They had been sitting here meditating for three straight days building up enough chakra to make the jump. They hadn't been able to test anything due to the nature of this jutsu. It would either work or it wouldn't. They had been circling the chakra through the both of them until each of them held a ridiculous amount of chakra in their bodies. Hinata now contained a small portion of Kurama's chakra as well. It had been a risky move but they deemed it necessary in order for Kurama to keep a tight hold on Hinata as he guided them to the past. They were aiming for when they were fifteen. Any time in that range would work even if it was right at the beginning of the war before Naruto turned sixteen.

They slowly released their hold on each others hands and slowly flexed their fingers so they'd have full mobility. They had slowly practiced this section by section. They had it. Now they just had to complete the signs in perfect unison.

They each took a deep breath and Naruto started the countdown.

"One." He said.

"Two." She said.

"Three." He said.

"Now!" She said.

And they both started to fly thought the sequence of over two hundred hand signs. Each movement in synch with the other. They braced their backs together as the chakra they had gather pulsed and shook their bodies as they pushed the chakra into the signs. They neared the end of the sequence. Only a few more. And there!

With a final hand sign. The world went black.