Chapter 42: Sand Beast

When Naruto spotted the cliff walls surrounding the Hidden Sand village he gave a cry of joy and picked Hinata up so she could see. Giggling at his antics Hinata squirmed to be put down all with a huge grin on her face. They had been walking for a day straight after the sand storm had stopped and were happy to finally see the walls of the Sand Village.

Hinata started to think about all the things they needed to do once they got to the village. Finding a place to stay was important. They didn't know how long they would be here so getting a semi-permanent place set up was crucial. But first they were faced with an even bigger problem. How to bypass the guards and actually enter the village. Since the village was in a giant rock valley surrounded by giant cliff faces, there was only one easy entrance and it was heavily monitored. They could try to sneak in some other way but that would involve avoiding the guards undoubtedly placed around the village and it would also include having to fly under the radar for their entire stay. That would prove to be a massive hassle going forward.

Their best option was too gain sanctuary and a legal residence even if under false names. But how to do it?

------

The guard focused in on a sudden rising sand cloud out in the distance. That hadn't been there a few seconds before. He called for attention and other guards looked as well. The cloud was growing bigger in size as it move closer. They couldn't make out any details yet but everyone readied for a fight. Soon they could make out figures running towards the village, two humans and a sand beast. A giant scorpion. Not the largest the Suna-nin had ever seen but definitely a big one. And if the two people running from the scorpion weren't used to fighting them, they could very well end up dead.

At this point the ninja were gearing up to help fight the scorpion. When the scorpion and the pair of humans entered a reasonable range the Sand ninja lept to help fight the beast. The sand nin entered in, starting a barrage of well placed hits in areas they knew to be weak spots in the scorpions shell. Minutes passed with everyone participating. Side glances and cursory looks were thrown at the pair who had been chased by the scorpion. One was acting as the guard for the other who had fallen to the ground in a limp heap. The one with yellow hair fended off any of the scorpion strikes that headed their direction. Kunai slicing and swiping at the massive tail. 

Finally the scorpion went down and the blond fell to the ground with their head between their knees. The guards took stock of their own injuries while the guard who had first noticed the disturbance made his way over to the pair. The blond man, as the guard could now see, had moved to raise the limp figure up against his side. When the guard noticed the blood on the limp woman he raised a shout and the medic that had followed them out raced over. 

The guard and the medic knelt next to the pair. The medic began to clear away the blood and sand, trying to locate the wound.

"Was she struck?"

"I-I didn't think so. Not by the tail. I think it got her with it's pincers when I rushed it to try and knock it back right before you guys arrived."

The medic nodded and started to heal the large cut on the woman arm. "She probably passed out from the added stress of crossing the desert and the sudden adrenaline shock and injury."

The blond man nodded and squeezed the hand of the woman. "We were caught in the sandstorm for a few days halfway across so we had to ration our supplies a bit. Not bad but she definitely hasn't had as much water as she should have."

The medic nodded and pulled out a water canteen. He tipped it into her lips and then tilted her head forward so the water would then dribble out. He repeated the action a few times. "That'll help her recover a bit till we get her set up with an IV bag back at the hospital."

The man nodded again and accepted when the guard passed him a canteen as well. He took a few sips and then passed it back. The guard was slightly impressed that the man knew to not guzzle the water right away. 

"Thank you for the help. We weren't expecting the sandstorm or the scorpion. She's a sensor so we steered clear of any sand beasts but after the storm she was tired and we were snuck up on. We're from the Land of Waves."

The guard nodded. That explained the lack of hitai-ates. The Land of Waves did not have a formal ninja system. If the pair had any skills at all, they were likely acquired through local teaching by a retired shinobi or a more self taught course. They had obviously enough skill to evade and run from the scorpion but beyond that he doubted they had much value or worth as shinobi.

The guards stood and helped the man stand while the woman remained leaned against his side.

"Will you be able to carry her or will you need assistance?" A brief gleam of wariness flashed through the mans eyes and his grip on the woman tightened minutely. But it was gone almost as soon as the guard noticed it.

"I'll manage. I'll let you know if Shizu gets too heavy." A small sheepish grin spread on the man's face. "She'd hit me if she heard me say that."

The guard chuckled for a second and then turned to the medic. "Go on ahead and get the hospital ready to receive. I'll bring them both straight there." The medic nodded and dashed off. 

The guard started off at a slow pace, the man keeping up even as he now carried the woman in his arms.

The guard cleared his throat lightly. "I never caught your name."

The man look slightly startled but then nodded. "Oh, my name is Satori Umaka. This is my wife Shizu."

"I'm glad to make your acquaintance. My name is Kaoru."

"Thank you Kaoru, you really saved us." The blond man flashed a blinding smile. And Kaoru felt his face give a small smile back.

"It was the least I could do as a Suna-nin."

And once again everyone underestimates Naruto's acting abilities! Somebody give this boy an Oscar! :p  I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Next Friday everyone gets to meet Gaara! It's not going to be easy but our favorite couple is going to do their best!