Chapter 40: Farewell For Now

They stood looking out over the bridge they had toiled over for the past year and a half. They were now physically seven, almost eight. The years had gone by in an instant. Over two years back in this time. And so much had changed. The wave was stable. Gato had been disposed of by hiring Zabuzu to assassinate the scumbag instead of letting Gato kill him. They hadn't met the pair of rogue nin except for the once to request the mission. Seeing them again had cut Naruto deeply, but he healed as time went on, knowing that they were happy and alive.

Hinata and Naruto had worked tirelessly for 19 months to get to this day. To see the day when the first trade wagons finished the crossing. To see that they could change the wrongs of the world. No matter how long it took them. September 10th. 786 days since they had returned. Each day they spent in this time becoming more precious than the last.

The bridge was complete. This part of their journey had come to an end. What they would fight next was hard to know. It was too early for the chunnin exams. They could try to contact Gaara, teach him about emotions before he became too far lost, or they could go with the toads into the summons realm, and start training so that they would be strong enough to protect everyone in the oncoming fights. They could go after Orochimaru, but that would have to happen after more training, even if they knew his fighting style, the crazy bastard had needed a long time and multiple deaths to become the thing that had given them a wedding gift back in the old timeline.

In order to get to the land of Wind and then the village hidden in the sand they would have to cross through the land of fire and possible encounter Konoha shinobi. Sailing all the way around the land of Tea would be a very long journey. Mount Myoboku's physical location was near the land of waves, but thy would still be entering the summon's realm in order to train if they went. The difference between the physical place and the summon aspect of it had confused Naruto for a long time. Mount Myoboku was a real place that humans could visit. But to actually talk and train with the toads like he had before they would need to enter the summons realm.

The two main choices they were faced with were troubling. Go to the Sand village and find Gaara? Or go and do more training to prepare for the eventual fighting?

As the sun set, almost perfect falling down the bridge, meeting the bridge as it stretched out into the horizon. The young couple held hands as they turned their backs to the bridge they had devoted so much time too. They walked away. Headed towards the house they had lived in for this adventure. To begin saying goodbye to the little family they had placed themselves in. Inari, still too young to ever really remember them, had made his way into their hearts, creating the promise of a family of their own someday. Tsunami, showing the mother's love neither of them had ever really experienced, from hugs to sweet goodbyes, and lunches packed dutifully as if sending children off to school. Kaiza, strong and dependable, providing the motivation they all needed, talking with the villagers and organizing them, keeping them safe and stable. Tazuna, the cranky old man who cared too much, he had led them through this, keeping them on task but making sure everyone still enjoyed their work.

These four had made a family and included them in it. Naruto and Hinata would never be able to fully repay all that they had given the young couple.

When they entered the house, they were greeted with the scents of Tsunami's cooking. Hinata had struck a bargain with Tsunami many months ago and had become a regular helper and fixture in the kitchen. But this meal was a celebration. The big opening party had been yesterday. A fanfare that had included the entire village. But tonight was just for them. A celebration of all they had accomplished. And a farewell. The little family didn't know exactly where the young couple would go now, but they had picked up that they were going to leave. 

The meal was delicious. Tsunami had made all of their favorites, Kaiza having been her unwilling helper, and each one was perfect. They all lounged around. Silently watching as Inari ran around. Now three, the toddler raced around, creating havoc wherever he went. Naruto was officially a big brother this time. And Tsunami had made sure he knew it.

Tazuna cleared his throat. "When are you leaving?"

Naruto and Hinata shared a look. "Three days most likely." Naruto said quietly. "We still have to decided where we're gonna go."

"What are your options?"

"The Hidden Sand Village or with the summons."

Silence hung over the dining room as they all watched Inari try to pick a piece of paper but his pudgy fingers couldn't grasp it.

"Make sure you write. And visit eventually. At least a letter a month if not more and we better see you at least once a year. Got it? You're family now. You can't just leave."

Hinata nodded and wiped away the tear that had slid free. "We will."

Kaiza stood up and walked over too the two. He had given them space, but he had taken up an authority position, learning how to parent two different age groups at once. he knelt down next to them and wrapped hi arms around them. 

"You have to stay safe okay. Promise me you will do your best to stay safe."

"We promise."

Kaiza let them lean back a bit. He stared into their eyes. "I know we can't stop you. You have a mission. And you have to do it. So make sure you do it well. Win the war before it comes." 

"We will."

Hey guys. So this is the end of part 1. This book will go on hiatus for a while till I have part 2 ready to launch. As you can probably tell I want your opinion on whether they should go to Gaara first or go straight to training with the summons. This journey has been so incredible long and I feel so loved by you guys. Some editing will be taking place intermittent with writing part 2 but nothing big will change but I will probably suggest a reread before part 2 drops. I am going to aim for part 2 dropping the same time i started this book so part 2 is aimed to drop early March 2019. I love all you guys so much, you are what keeps me motivated and writing. Without you guys I would have never gotten this far.