Chapter 34: Trouble Brews

Okay because I'm going to have to work with a clone's POV I want you guys to understand how I view the mindset of the clones. The clones are Naruto. They just register the fact that they are clones. Being clones is just something they shrug off and go with. Because of how Naruto gets all the memories and experiences from the clones they don't develop their own way of looking at things. The clones are just Naruto. The fact that they are clones doesn't make them think any different than Naruto does. So I won't have them think differently. They are just Naruto. So a clone will give Hinata like a peck on the cheek or a hug because they are all Naruto. And Hinata will treat every clone like it was actually Naruto because it is. Hope that made sense. Happy reading!  

Hinata was securing a beam to be hoisted up when Naruto came to a screeching halt next to her. His face was serious and solemn as he stood there.

"Naruto? What is it?"

"Incoming boat. I left before we found out who was in it. The other clones should be headed this way in an hour or two. We're going to try and delay for as long as possible before they inevitably have to head to shore with the people in the boat." The clone looked tense. Even though he was just a clone he was Naruto in every sense. He felt the same tense apprehension and heavy feeling that the original Naruto did. He also felt the ridiculous need to protect Hinata with every ounce of strength he had. Hinata could handle herself but it didn't stop Naruto, clone or otherwise, from wanting to protect her.

"And you think this is the answer to the feeling you've been having?" A tense nod. "Okay. Let's go find Tazuna and catch him up. My guess is we're going to have to ask him to play along with us taking the lead?"

"Yep. If the boat is carrying Konoha shinobi looking for us or even if it's just Konoha shinobi in general for some random reason Tazuna will need to know that he can not mention us at all." Naruto grabbed Hinata's hand after having helped her finish securing the beam. 

They walked over to where Tazuna was studying the building plans. He was writing out lists of steps and needed materials and working on a rough timeline for certain stages of completion. They stood in front of the table Tazuna had everyrhing spread out on and waited a bit vefore Naruto tapped on the table. The old man looked up and grunted. If Naruto was back so soon that meant something was up.

"What is it?"

"There's an incoming boat." Naruto wasn't sure how to explain all this to Tazuna. He didn't want to be laughed at but the tiny bits of nature chakra he'd been feeling were just filled with a tense anticipation. There was no mistaking it. The boat would cause trouble.

Tazuna rolled his eyes but could feel the need to take a drink to calm down his rising nerves. "And?"

Hinata just sighed. They did not have time for this. "If the boat contains ninja from our home village or any ninja who could be looking for Naruto and myself it could spell trouble."

Tazuna sighed wearily. While he hoped it would never happen he should have realized that trouble would follow the fortune. Two amazing kids with smart heads a strong working spirit didn't just show up with no strings. "What do I need to do?"

-------------

Naruto and Iruka were almost at the shore. It had been a tense and silent ride but there was not much Naruto could change. He was going for the silent brooding type that didn't have a lot to say to strangers. And it seemed to be working. 

They reached the shore and Naruto tied the boat to the dock. Iruka hopped out and followed Naruto. Naruto made his way towards Tazuna's house. The clone that had raced back first had dispelled when the other clones had reached the shore so that he would know the current situation.

Tazuna, Kaiza, and Tsunami had been told to play along and just let Naruto and Hinata take the lead and all their questions will be answered later. They all knew to not mention the young couples names or their origins in Konoha. As far as the others were concerned a Naruto or a Hinata had never been to the land of the waves.

Naruto opened the door to Tazuna's house and saw everyone sitting around the table with some food laid out. He picked out Hinata from her chakra signature and smiled at his wife. Hinata has altered her transformation. With now noticiably purple hair versus her natural midnight black locks and warm golden brown eyes she look so different.

(I forgot to mention it before but Naruto altered his appearance too.)

Naruto was sporting longer light brown hair with no whisker marks and green eyes. He was unrecognizable to anyone but his wife who stood up and gave him a peck on the cheek.

He whispered, "Satori Umaka."

She nodded and whispered, "Shizu."

The backed up and Naruto gave Tazuna a nod.

The old man stood up and cleared his throat. "Welcome. My name is Tazuna. Master bridge builder and head of the current project."

Iruka stepped forward to shake Tazuna's hand. "Iruka Umino. Chunnin of Konohagakure. I'm here on a search and possible retrieval mission."

Tazuna arched an eyebrow. "Interesting. We don't have many Konoha nin come this way. You'd be the first in a few years now."

Iruka scratched his head sheepishly. "Konoha makes it a policy to only bother other nations on request of a mission unless it's for diplomacy. So yes, unless someone requested a mission, Konoha would have little need for a presence in the Wave."

Tazuna nodded. "We do all right here. No ninja villages or anything of that sort, but basic chakra skills are known by many."

"I observed as much. I noticed that your pillar crew could all stand on water. No easy feat by itself."

Tazuna just shrugged. "I wouldn't know much about that. The pillar crew leader put his team together himself."

Naruto gave a tense smile and nod. "Yes. You were correct in your observations Umino-san. All of my crew have the necessary control to stand and balance the waters surface. It makes construction much faster since there is no need to work from skiffs."

"Interesting. I can see the advantages. But if I may ask. The reason I can here actually. I am currently on a mission for a clan head of Konoha. His daughter and a boy he had taken in have dissapeared."

Tazuna took the conversation back. "I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences. Do you have a picture and a name? We'd be glad to help in any way."

Hinata and Naruto shared a look. They had told Tazuna to cooperate with anything the ninja might ask but he wasn't letting Naruto stay in control of the conversation like they hoped. There would be no avoiding it now. They just hoped that Tazuna could keep his emotions from showing.

"Of course. I have a picture of the two." Iruka pulled off his backpack and started to open a pocket. "They've been missing a few months now so it is possible they are no where near this region anymore but we can only hope."

Tazuna nodded.

"Ahah. Here it is." Iruka passed the picture to Tazuna. "This is Naruto Uzimaki and Hinata Hyuga. They are both six."

Silence reigned over the small kitchen.