Chapter 25: One Week

Have you guys seen the rankings! Holy shit! Number 1 in #timetravel! This is nuts! This story, which I started writing while on pain meds, is ranked above the stories that inspired me to write this book! This is insane!

They were hiding. Plain and simple. They were hiding. Currently, they were in the Uchiha District of all places. The Hyuga would be wary to cause a scene in the middle of another clans area. They had to find Itachi and talk to him one last time. But it was not proving easy. They kept missing him or he was gone on a two to three day missions.

A quick duck into a shop stand got the young couple out of sight so they could watch the crowd better. A smile and a quick purchase appeased the shop owner on their rather rude and quick entrance. They scanned over the crowds. It was hard to pick out a single Uchiha in a crowd of them plus more. The Uchiha shopping district was very popular. With vendors of all kinds many people from the village shopped here.

Finally, after what seemed like an hour and after changing stands to hide in multiple times, they spotted Itachi. He was carrying baskets and following his mother around as she shopped. They watched as he dutifully carried full baskets and bags laden with groceries and other things his mother was buying. They watched for a few more minutes before making their way out onto the street again.

Walking along trying to blend in while keeping tabs on an ANBU was harder than it sounds. Finally they ducked in between two buildings and after noting that the coast was clear, transformed into the versions that got to meet with Itachi. They linked arms and strolled around the marketplace. Stopping at shops and buying more of the groceries and a few goods they actually would need once they left the village behind. Things like weapons had to be bought over long periods of time in small amounts so that they didn't arouse suspicion. But a young, possibly newly married couple would need to buy groceries and more importantly, non-perishables, in bulk.

It took a few minutes and a couple purposeful passes close to the teen but Itachi eventually picked up on their presence. They wanted him to come to them this time. If he was committed enough about this, he'd seek them out for a chance to get more information. If he just ignored them then he wasn't ready and they couldn't leave yet. Which would cause more problems. They were at their wits end when it came to avoiding Hiashi. Hinata had only managed to see Hanabi for fifteen minutes here and there when her father left the compound for meetings.

The entire Hyuga clan was on guard for them now. No one beside Kara maybe had any idea what the situation really was. All they could tell was that there was a strong tension between the two six year-olds and Hiashi. The two children were rarely seen anymore and when they were, it was only when Hiashi was absent from the compound. No one questioned it but rumors had started to circulate about a falling out between them. Unlikely but everyone knew how strong willed the children were. If Hiashi had done something that the children disagreed with, it was obvious what stance the children were taking. Many possibilities were on the table for discussion.

One rumor that was gaining steam, mainly because Naruto and Hinata had started and pushed it, was that Hinata did not want to be the heiress any more and they were arguing about that. They figured that it would be true enough soon. When Hiashi found out they had completely left he would have to name Hanabi the heir. So why not get the whole clan warming up to the idea before hand?

They kept walking and when Hinata caught Itachi full on watching them she nudged Naruto and they made their way to an emptier section of the market. They visited a rather empty stall and slowly browsed the wares until Itachi made his appearance.

A few seconds of tense silence before Naruto chuckles. "Finally picked us out of the crowd? We thought we'd be spotted quicker than that. It let us get our shopping done though, so thanks for that."

"Why are you here?" Itachi's glare was ice.

Hinata met his glare in return. "We have to leave the village. Before we left we wanted to speak with you one last time."

"What did you want to talk to me about?" Slightly less intensity on the stare but it was still frosty.

Hinata tried to ease the tension by making her body relax. Her shoulders dropped and she stood with one hip cocked to the side. "We just wanted to ask if you have fully understood what it is we have asked you to do."

A hesitant but affirmative nod from the teen.

"Good. Danzo Shimura and the Hokage will ask you the same thing. But they have different end goals than we do."

Silence reigned between the three. Hinata and Naruto shared looks. Itachi sighed softly.

"I understand."

"Then," Naruto took a step forward so there was only a few inches of space between him and Itachi, "Itachi Uchiha. Do you accept your mission of exterminating the threat the Uchiha Clan poses to Konoha."

"I do." Naruto grew even more serious.

"Do you accept the clause on this mission that you will spare the innocent children of the Uchiha clan? Whose status as innocent or guilty is to be determined by you."

A hardened look in Itachi's eyes. "I will spare the innocent children."

"Do you accept that you will kill and possibly frame Danzo Shimura after you have completed your prior mission?"

"I do. Danzo will be dead before I leave the walls of this village but blame will fall upon me."

Naruto nodded. He figured Itachi would still blame himself in all accounts. "Then, Itachi Uchiha, this is the last time you will see either of us for a long time. If we happen to meet in the world outside the village then no prior relationship will be expressed. Before we part, do you have any questions for us?" Naruto took a step back to Hinata's side with a nod at Itachi.

Itachi paused and considered. "Who are you? Truly."

Hinata laughed softly. "I thought you would ask. We are friends Itachi Uchiha. And if we gave you our names you would not believe us."

Itachi nodded. "I had to ask."

Naruto spoke. "We will meet again Itachi. But for now, we say goodbye."

And they were gone in a gust of wind and leaves.