Chapter 21: Party and a Surprise

Hinata smiled as she looked around the large banquet hall. Everyone was milling around and having fun. Some of the elders were making, albeit rather tense, small talk with lower branch members but they were talking. The lower branch members had that little nervous bounce to their stance but everyone was having fun and getting along.

Hinata turned to face the entrance of the hall. She could feel Naruto approaching. He hadn't told her what errand he was going on but she had a guess that the reason he didn't tell her was because it was something semi-dangerous and Naruto wanted her to enjoy her day. Stupid boy. She could enjoy the horrors of the Fourth Great Ninja again, just as long as he stayed by her side.

Hinata shook her head at Naruto as he opened the door and walked in. No loud shout, no grand entrance. Just opened the door and walked in. She smiled. He could still be rambunctious when he wanted too, because he was still young. Naruto had gone through more hardships than most but he was still a teen at heart. He acted out, got angry, and got confused. But Hinata could appreciate the subtle gesture he was making by not making himself the center of attention. 

Naruto made his way across the room towards her. Hinata blushed slightly at the smirk he gave her. Hinata had gotten over most of her timidity and shyness but she still blushed every now and then when Naruto was involved. The looks he would send her way would almost always make her blush. Naruto reached her side and grabbed her hand and quickly drug her out of the way so that he could probably tell her whatever it was he had gone to do.

To her surprise naruto actualy gave her a peck on the cheek. While that was nothing big it was the fact that they had the attention of some of the other Hyuga clan members on them that made it big. Hinata burst into a scarlet flame and her stutter made a reappearance.

"N-n-n-n-nar-ruto!" She covered her face and heard the chuckles of the other clan members.

"Happy birthday Hinata!" Naruto called out loudly before sending her a secret smirk and wink. "I didn't know what to get'ya so the guy at the shop said to give'ya a kiss!" More chuckles and the few glares Naruto had pinned on the back of his head eased and then turned away. 

Hinata was still a blushing mess. She hadn't been this flustered since before they had started dating! It was just a small peck on the cheek for goodness sake! But her heart was pounding and her face was flushed and she still couldn't form words right. She stayed quiet for another minute before she dropped her hand to glare, embarrassed, at Naruto.

"D-," She took a deep breath. "Don't do that again." While the adults could interpret that remark how they wanted Naruto knew the meaning Hinata implied. Hinata didn't like being so flustered in public. It caused her more embarrassment. Naruto just smirked. Hinata was not telling him to never kiss her again. She was telling him to not do it in front of so many people. 

Naruto decided to taunt his wife a little. He may have to pay for it later but he wanted to have some fun. He tilted his head to the side and pouted a little. "Why Hina-chan?"

A slight flare up on her cheeks had Hinata glaring at her husband. Only he could make her feel this way and it made her mad and made her heart flutter at the same time because she loved him so much. "B-because it's embarrassing."

"Why's it embarrassing?" Naruto was going to pay for this later but Hinata couldn't hit him now. not with people watching.

"Because it is!"

Naruto chuckled and Hinata glared. Chuckles came from around the room and Hinata fought the embarrassment and didn't blush again. She continued to glare at Naruto until his grin broke and he whispered, "You're not really mad, are you?"

Hinata just glared. Naruto gulped and backed up comically. "Ya'know what I'm gonna go get somethin' ta drink."

And off he dashed. More laughter from around the room as Hinata glared in the direction Naruto went before sighing with a small smile. She still could scare that boy witless. She turned and made her way over to where her father was standing, talking to a few mid-level branch family members. She made her way to the group and the branch-family leader, Kaishi, if she remembered right, paused to give a slight bow  and wish her well on her birthday. Hinata returned her thanks before settling in at her fathers side to just listen to the conversation for a few minutes before Naruto came sneaking back so they could go play and relax.

The two men were talking about the training process every member of the clan went through and how it could be improved. Hinata listened before she found an opportunity to intercede politely.

"Kaishi-san, while it is a good idea to improve the training the other children go through I think a different approach might work better."

Kaishi was stunned for a second before nodding at her, "And what do you propose Hinata-sama?"

Hinata smiled. He was taking her seriously, she would remember him. "I propose building a more obstacle course like playground. One that focuses on things like climbing and moving quickly. Perfectly disguised as a regular playground but it would provide more subtle training. Allowing the kids to stay care free while getting more training."

Kaishi and her father paused to think about it. Kaishi nodded and her father followed suit a few seconds later. "A good idea Hinata-sama. I'll talk to the other families about this and see what we can come up with." Hinata nodded in return and then after excusing herself she left to wander the crowds some more.

She noticed the happy faces and how everyone was relaxed and talking. Even the elders had relaxed a bit more. Hinata watched as people slipped in and out of the banquet hall, probably switching in and out for guard duty. To keep up the appearance Hiashi had asked for ANBU help again but Itachi was not one of the three ANBU stationed around the compound. If Hinata had sensed correctly, Kakashi was among those guarding the compound but she couldn't be sure. 

Hinata decided to step out-side for a minute. She stepped into the crisp winter air and breathed deeply. It was so weird to see everyone again. So many had died in the war and then in the destruction that led to the couple coming back. She had gotten over her shock in the first few days but every now and then it would hit her. She would see faces in the crowd and want to run up and hug them but she couldn't because they didn't know her yet.

She took a deep breath. She could feel the change in the air. Everything was constantly shifting and becoming new and different she was having a hard time keeping up. She compared her life before the jump to now. Her previous sixth birthday had been a small affair because of the tense relations between the family. Hinata had not been making the proper progress and was showing her too gentle side. It would only be a few more years before their relationship broke and Hinata let Hanabi win the sparring match for the title of heiress.

Now she was standing outside a packed banquet hall, the party inside helping to build bonds and make sure that Hanabi would be a well received heiress when the time came. A four year age gap between the girls would be overlooked. By making herself less of a focus and having Hanabi be the center of the clan when the time came the transition would go smoothly.

Hinata sighed again. She had so much going on in her mind. But all thoughts fled when she felt a touch on her shoulder.