Chapter 27: One Hour

Hinata's back was flat against a wall as she listened for footsteps. Nothing. Only the rustle of the night breeze through the trees. She was in the compound again. Naruto at her side. It was extremely dangerous but she had to do this before they left. She couldn't leave without saying goodbye. She crept down a hallway with Naruto at her back. She was going to say goodbye to Hanabi while Naruto collected their stuff.

As it was eleven at night Hanabi was sleeping deeply when Hinata slid the door open slightly. She made eye contact with Naruto and nodded. He nodded back and made his way down the hall to Hinata's room. After he disappeared inside Hinata entered Hanabi's room. She slowly crossed the floor. Her footsteps making noise so that Hanabi would start to wake up at the sound. By the time Hinata crossed the room, Hanabi was stirring. Even at just over a year old Hanabi was showing her great potential for the ninja arts. 

Hinata gently shook Hanabi's shoulder so that the young girl would wake up. It was slow and Hanabi was groggy, but once she was awake enough to see Hinata she wriggled around till she could grab Hinata. The light wasn't great in he room but their was enough that with the Byakugan, Hanabi had easily recognized her sister.

The little girl clung to her sister as Hinata lifted her out of her bed and held her close. Hanabi giggled and started to babble away. He baby speak had words scattered through out it but it wasn't a complete thought by any means. Hinata just smiled. She would miss seeing her sister grow up. She might have to add "Send anonymous letters" to the list of things she'd have to do once Hanabi was a bit older. Her sister would be able to read in about three years thanks to her advancement. So a simple letter with a couple pictures would be a good gift. Just sending pictures for a few years would have to do.

Hinata was no going to loose her sister completely. Even if it was ten years before they came back, Hanabi would recognize and know her. Hinata wouldn't be getting any letters back but her sister knowing that she had existed was good enough for Hinata.

Hinata set Hanabi down on the floor and let her cling to her pant leg for a bit. She then directed her towards the pile of toys and they sat and played. Hanabi would hold up a toy and then put it in Hinata's out stretched hand. Hinata would look at the toy funny and then do silly things with it. Whether she would make a horse doll do flips or make the little person dance on Hanabi's head. Hanabi's screeches of joy were music to Hinata's ears. She didn't worry about the sound. The tag she had put on the floor when she sat down gave them a nice bubble of silence.

They played for a good half-hour. Hinata doing anything Hanabi wanted. Somehow it seemed that Hanabi knew what was happening. Because after a few minutes, Hanabi sat in Hinata's lap. She still played. But she sat on Hinata's lap. Reaching for toys instead of getting up. Hinata would stretch and grab the toy. 

It wasn't long before tears were rolling down Hinata's face. She kept her voice happy and light as she played, giggling and smiling, making sure this memory would stay with her. This was the hardest part about their plan. She didn't want to leave Hanabi. But the life on the road with her and Naruto was no place for a little girl. She also didn't want to break Hiashi that way. Her mother would have died just over a year ago for him. She didn't have any real memories of her mother. She was doing enough damage by leaving. If she took Hanabi with it would break him.

She just hoped the letter would be enough.

---------

Naruto grabbed more stuff and set it on the pile. The pile was on top of a storage scroll he had drawn up. He was grabbing everything of importance from both of their rooms. Pictures and mementos. Trinkets and things. He also grabbed clothes, shoes, and weapons. Packing everything he could. They would each have a backpack full of  storage scrolls but the scrolls were easier to pack that everything individually.

He knew what Hinata was doing and tried to stay focused but his mind was wandering. Why them?  Hinata and he had made their peace with the past only to have the present destroyed in front of them. Then they had ripped themselves from that time to try and fix it. They hadn't planned for any of this. They didn't want to change their child hoods. Mainly because they didn't want to do this. The heartbreak and hurt. The pain and grief they were causing Hinata's family. Hiashi. The man who had stepped in as another father figure in his life. 

The man who taught him how to be responsible and care for his wife. They hadn't had long to build a relationship but Naruto still craved that feeling of closeness. Hinata was tearing herself up inside over leaving her family. But they couldn't stay. They had made their promise to Hiashi rashly in order to make their escape. A rash move that they hadn't thought out in the slightest.

Now they were on the run from home. Hiding from a man they both called father in another life time. Naruto couldn't help the intense guilt. If only he had thought it out they wouldn't be in this mess. But they couldn't tell Hiashi. They didn't want anyone else knowing and having to deal with the weight of knowing what happened. They would suffer in order to fix what had gone wrong. They could avoid a war if they played their cards right.

But in that mean time they where leaving. Leaving with no trace besides the memory in Hanabi's young mind, a photo, and a single letter addressed to Hiashi. The letter was simple. A single piece of paper. 

Hiashi. We are leaving. It was a mistake to promise you that we would tell you our secret. We have decided that it is necessary for us to leave Konoha. We do not know where we will head or how long we will be gone. Letters may appear from time to time but we will only return upon our own terms. Know that we both love you like a father figure. Take care of Hanabi. The clan needs an heir it can rely on.

                                This is goodbye,

                                         Naruto Uzimaki-Namikaze and Hinata Hyuga

Naruto glanced at the clock. 11:54. It was time to go. He seal the scroll and left his room. He made his way to Hanabi's room. Hinata was standing in the doorway gazing at Hanabi's sleeping form. A new picture sat on her dresser. A shot of the couple. Hinata and Naruto smiled at the camera. A small message was written on it. 

We love you Hanabi. Be strong.