Chapter 5

Harry has been a complete sweetheart this past weekend. He is everything I hoped for in a soul mate and more. We hadn't gone out this weekend since I had to catch up on homework but we texted almost nonstop and we stayed up until 2 a.m. talking on the phone on Friday and Saturday. He actually makes talking on the phone fun and totally not awkward. My dad came into my room twice to complain about how my "happiness was too loud" (his words, not mine) and that he couldn't sleep.

I noticed things about Harry that I was too nervous to notice the first two times I hung out with him. Like how his voice got all gravelly when he was tired. And how once you mentioned a subject that he enjoyed, it was very hard to get him to talk about something else. His accented, modulated voice made me wish I could stay here and listen to him talk until morning. His laughter at the stupidest things gave the feeling that everything would be okay. It could be raining urine but as long as Harry continued to laugh, everything would be fine.

I never considered myself to be the bubbly type who would ever swoon over a guy's sleepy voice but obviously I was wrong. I rolled my eyes at girls who always had to be near their soul mates and who couldn't get enough of them and I just prayed that I wouldn't turn into one of them.

When it neared 1:30 am on Sunday- well, technically it was Monday already- we were still talking on the phone and we couldn't hang up. My eyes were droopy and getting harder to keep open by the second. I was laying in my bed in the dark which didn't help to keep me awake enough to hold a conversation.

"I have to go to sleep," I mumbled, trying to keep it low so as to not disturb my parents which turned out to be unchallenging since I didn't have the energy to speak in a normal tone anyway.

Harry groaned into the receiver. "No, don't leave me."

That was another thing I noticed. He got really needy when we were about to hang up. When I mentioned how tired I was or if he suspected that I would hang up on him, he always begged me to stay. I didn't know if this was normal in relationships since this is the only one I've been in but I didn't question it. It usually took me 10 minutes to convince him to hang up or if not, we would just stay on the phone until we fell asleep resulting me in having my phone without battery the next morning.

"Harry," I said. It came out more as 'Harreh' since it was too late for me to speak properly. "There's school in the morning. My dad is going to get mad if I stay up any later."

"It's already almost two so what's it hurt if you stay more on phone?"

I laughed a little too loud at his incapability to form a coherent sentence which caused my dad to come into my room to check on me. I quickly closed my eyes as soon as I heard his footsteps and pretended to be sleeping. I had my phone in between my ear and the pillow so he didn't notice it when he came in. I put on my best sleeping face which consisted of having my mouth half open and my eyes lightly closed.

"Diana?" Harry asked when I didn't answer.

I stayed quiet, hoping my dad wouldn't hear Harry on the phone.

"Dianaaa," Harry whined.

My door was finally closed and I waited until I didn't hear my dad's footsteps anymore to answer.

"Sorry, I'm here," I whispered. "My dad came into my room so I pretended to be asleep. At this hour, I shouldn't even be pretending. I'm going to hang up, okay?" I said, much to Harry's protests.

"Fine," he huffed. "Leave me, then. I'll just be here, alone, listening to the sound of my tears, trying to fall asleep."

I stifled a laugh. "You're such a dork. Goodnight."