Epilogue

*Six months later*

"I can't believe you guys are leaving us already!" My mom cried out.

Maura flung her arms around Niall and said, "Please be safe, okay? Call me when you get there, call me when you're stopping, call me if you get too tired on the road, okay?"

Niall wrapped his arms around his mom for the hundredth time and said, "Yeah, mom, I know. You already told me."

She held him at arm's length with tears threatening to spill over her eyes. "I'm sorry. I just can't believe my baby boy is going to college already."

Niall looked at me with a jokingly tired expression. I made a face at him in return and he left his mom's side to stand next to me.

"Diana, no partying on school nights. And no drinking. Or drugs. Or sex," my dad warned, all joking gone from his voice.

"Oh, jeez, dad. Stop," I laughed.

"Just making sure you know these things." He gave me a small smile, trying to seem like he wasn't about to cry.

"What time do you guys have to leave?" My mom asked.

"Nine?" I looked to Niall for confirmation. He nodded and reached out to grab my hand, lacing his fingers with mine. He squeezed it once in a comforting gesture, calming my nerves.

"Oh, then you guys have to go now if you're picking up Luanne and Liam!" Maura said.

Having graduated from high school about a week ago, all four of us were now on our way to college. Niall and I were headed to Rhode Island and we were dropping Luanne and Liam off at their university in North Carolina. I was worried crazy and insanely nervous. I've never taken such a big step before. I've never been away from my family for a week, much less for four years.

But I had Niall.

After that night all those months ago, seeing Harry again would only have served to hurt me even more. Knowing I could run into him anytime, anywhere wore me out. I was utterly exhausted and destroyed from dealing with him again and again. From forgiving him over and over. I had managed to avoid him for about a month- I didn't go to the cafeteria at all and I hid whenever he came to my job or to my house. There were so many times when I wanted to just give him another chance. He looked like a lost puppy every time I saw him. Like his heart was literally broken into pieces.

Niall brought me back to reality whenever I began to think like that. I spent so many nights at his house, recovering. Harry's consistent calling and texting didn't help. When Niall made me block his number, it was easier to breathe.

No one knew this but I had actually gone to Harry's house one night with every intention to forgive him. I stood, ready to knock on his door and throw myself into his arms. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I held the necklace he had given me all those months ago in my hands, reliving all the hurt, all the pain, and all the love.

Before I could change my mind, I left the necklace at the foot of his front door on the porch. As it slipped out of my hand, a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. As if that's what I needed to do to finally let go.

Just as I was about to leave, I remembered that I still had my note in my back pocket. I took it out and read it over. I had written it a few weeks after that night at my house, in all the sadness and emotion I was feeling. I wasn't sure I would ever give it to him and I wasn't sure I wanted to but it wasn't fair to Harry. Or to myself.

I quickly left it under the weight of the necklace and walked back to my house, leaving it all behind.

Harry's visits had become less and less frequent and eventually stopped altogether. I can't deny that I was dejected when I hadn't seen him show up for a week. But Niall's constant joking and laughter helped me get through everything.

I wasn't sure I would ever fully recuperate from the mark Harry has permanently left on my life. I hoped one day I could forgive him one last time. But I know I can never forget what he's done.

Niall nudged me with his arm and said, "So are we going?"

I nodded and he took in a deep breath in response.

I could tell he didn't want to show how anxious he was for my sake but I knew he was unsure of what to do or how to act. I squeezed his hand like he did to me before and gave him a reassuring smile. He visibly relaxed as he mirrored my gesture and turned to his parents.

"Okay.. Well, we're going to go now," he said to his parents, trying to keep his voice steady.

"Do you guys have everything?" my mom asked. "Wallets, toothbrushes, underwear?"

"Yeah, mom." I walked to her and gave her a tight hug, closing my eyes so I wouldn't cry.

I heard Niall embrace his parents like I was doing to my own.

"I'm proud of you," my mom whispered in my ear.

She meant it in the educational sense, proud that I was going to a good university with a scholarship, but little did she know it meant much more than that to me.

After Niall and I had hugged both of our parents, we got into the car and with one last look, we pulled out of the driveway.

Seeing our parents waving in the rear view mirror immediately filled me with longing and I couldn't help but want to go back. But I couldn't. This was important. This wasn't just going to a new college and a new state; it was another chance. I could start over and forget everything that happened this past year. Mend wounds and just change completely.

"Do Luanne and Liam know we're on our way?" Niall asked.

"I told them to be ready by 9."

At the red light, Niall turned to look at me. He grinned proudly and leaned into me to give me a sweet kiss.

When he pulled back, he carefully put a hand to my cheek and asked, "Ready?"

I thought back to the last year and realized that I would never have pictured myself in this position. I always thought the best thing I would do was go to college with my soul mate and spend the rest of my life with him. Instead, I was here with Niall and honestly, I couldn't have asked for anything better.

My life had changed dramatically and I never imagined myself how I am now. But I was ready to start over with Niall and try to mend the scars Harry left in my life.

As the light turned green, I slowly smiled and said, "Ready."

~~~

VERY IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE NEXT CHAPTER, PLEASE READ IT

Comment, vote, share, message me, whatever! Love you! Read the next authors note please! And remember to tell me what you thought of this chapter!