Chapter 22

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, wondering what I was even doing. I had gotten ready in a hour; ironing my hair and choosing what shoes to wear had taken the longest time. I forgot to buy a dress but thankfully I still had one that I wore to my uncle's wedding. It was a knee length, sweetheart neckline, black and white dress. The top part was black and the bottom was white and it had beading along the middle.

I nervously smoothed it out and put on a small pair of earrings. I haven't been to a dance like this in three years and it made me anxious. Especially since I was going with Niall.

He refused to let me back out of this even though I told him I really preferred not to go. I hated knowing I was hurting Harry by doing this. I couldn't imagine how he was feeling. If it was the other way around, I know I would be completely heartbroken. But not enough to actually hurt him physically.

Thinking of Harry confused me. He'd left a cut on my cheek and a bump on the back of my head. And not to mention I felt emotionally drained. Yet I don't know why I couldn't bear the thought of leaving him.

The doorbell rang and it brought me out of my thoughts. With one last look at myself in the mirror, I went to open the door for Niall.

I grabbed my purse hanging on the hook next to the door and opened it after making sure my hair looked good.

But Niall didn't meet me behind the door. Harry was there instead.

He brought me into a hug as soon as he saw me. He buried his face into my neck and I didn't move. I didn't hug him back or comfort him like I usually would. Instead, I just stood there as he embraced me tightly.

Finally, I pushed him back a little and he dropped his arms from around me. He looked at me with a far away look in his eyes. His long hair framed his face beautifully and I had to shift my eyes away to keep myself from running my hands through his hair. I resisted the urge to pull him into my arms and kiss the sadness away from him.

One of his hands came up to touch the scar on my cheek and I automatically flinched away from his touch. His face dropped and he bit his lip.

"Please don't do that," he whispered.

I walked back inside, hoping that he wouldn't follow me but knowing he wouldn't just leave.

I sat on the couch and moved as far off to the side as I could when he sat next to me. I played with the hem of my dress as I squirmed under Harry's stare. I knew I had to tell him that I wanted a break but the words just didn't come to me. This was the hardest thing I've had to do and I knew if I looked at him or if he said anything right now, I would back down and forgive him instantly.

"Diana."

Before he was able to say anything more, I said, "I think we need a break."

From the corner of my eye, I saw his mouth drop open a little. He stayed silent and I took this time to say what I was thinking

"You promised you wouldn't hurt me again but you did and you obviously don't trust me enough to-"

"No, no, Diana, no. Don't do this," he begged. "Please don't do this. I do trust you. I swear I do. I just overreacted yesterday because I got scared."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I wished Niall would get here already so I wouldn't have to listen to Harry anymore. I wasn't sure how much of his begging I could take before I broke and told him to forget all of this.

"I just don't want to lose you," he whispered. "I don't want you to leave me. Please don't leave me."

He turned my head so that I was facing him. I opened my eyes at his cool touch and was met by his troubled green eyes.