Chapter 18

It was 6:00 and Harry hadn't texted me or called me at all today. I had no idea what we were doing, where we were going, or when. I was already dressed and ready to go, though, in case he showed up randomly. 

I had a hard time choosing my outfit since I didn't know what was appropriate for where we're going. The only thing he told me was to dress pretty so I ended up wearing a dark blue, knee-length laced dress. Its sleeves ran down to my elbows and had a thin, black belt around my stomach. It was comfortable but I wasn't sure if it was too fancy or not fancy enough. 

As I sat on the living room couch scrolling endlessly through my phone, waiting to hear from Harry, my dad came to sit next to me. 

I crossed my legs but didn't put down my phone. I casually placed my hand on top of my wrist to cover up the fading bruise. It was almost gone now but I didn't want to risk my dad noticing a mark.

Sitting back against the couch, he ran a hand through his hair. I wondered if there was something he needed from me before I left. Knowing my dad, he was probably going to talk to me about Harry. He always did get a little overprotective of me.

Just as I predicted, he said, "So you really like this kid, don't you?"

I exited from the app on my phone and turned my head to look at him. His brown eyes were staring straight ahead at the TV in front of of us. "Yeah," I replied. 

"It's only been two months," he reminded me. As if I didn't know it's been two months. That's the reason we were going out tonight. 

"Yeah," I repeated. 

He finally turned to look at me but didn't say anything. Talking about this with my dad makes me uncomfortable. We had a good relationship but I can't talk about these things to him as freely as I can with my mom. 

When I got tired from the silence, I asked, "Is there a point to this?"

He sighed deeply and talked slowly as if choosing the right words to say. "I just want to make sure you don't go too fast."

I squinted my eyes at him, unsure of what he was getting at. "What do you mean?" I asked cautiously. 

He shrugged. "I know you're a smart girl. I know you know about the dangers about unprotect-"

My eyes widened as I realized what he was saying. "Oh, dad!" I stood up from the couch and crossed my arms. "I don't need you to tell me this."

"Hey, I just want to remind you that waiting until marriage is-"

"Stop it!" I walked away to the kitchen. This was not the type of stuff I talk to him about. We can talk about school and maybe friends but not this. This was not the conversation I want to have with him. Besides, there's nothing he can tell me that I don't already know. 

"Okay, okay, I'll stop," he finally said. "I just wanted to make sure."

I scoffed and didn't answer him. Why did he have to make everything so weird? I quickly chugged a cup of water to calm myself down and wondered why Harry was taking so long. I suddenly wanted to get out of here as soon as possible.

As if reading my mind, the doorbell rang and I ran to open it before my father. 

My heart sped up at the sight of Harry with perfectly tousled hair in a blazer. I've never seen him in one before and he looked even better than he does when he plays soccer. The blazer was a dark blue, almost like my own dress. The sleeves were rolled up to halfway up his forearms, revealing just a few of the tattoos he had. Under the blazer, he had a plain, grey shirt and he wore dark skinny jeans.