Chapter 17

"Diana, come help me put everything in the car," my mom called from the kitchen.

I quickly pulled my short hair into a ponytail and with one last look in the mirror, I ran out of the bathroom to help my mom.

"Are we picking Niall and his dad up or are we going straight to the hospital?" I asked as I reached the bottom step.

"Straight to the hospital," my dad answered from the living room.

It was our Thanksgiving tradition to spend this holiday with Niall's family. We would alternate which house we celebrated at each year. Last year it was at our house so this time it should be at the Horan house. Instead, we're all going to the hospital since Maura is still staying there. We weren't going to leave her out of this. My parents were very close with Bobby and Maura so a hospital wasn't going to stop us from spending today together.

I helped take the soda bottles to the car while my dad lugged the tray with my mom's turkey in it.

After we were settled in the car with everything we needed, I got a text from Niall.

Niall: You guys coming?

Me: Yeah, on our way.

"Have you gone to visit Maura?" my dad asked my mom.

She nodded. "On Tuesday after work." I couldn't see her face but the sadness was evident in her voice. When I met Niall, we weren't the only one's that became best friends. Our moms also began to hang out the more we went to each other's houses. They became attached over the years just like Niall and I.

"I haven't had a chance to see her yet," my dad said.

I didn't hear my mom's reply since my phone vibrated again.

Niall: Ok, will be here.

I loved spending the holidays with everyone but I really wished Harry and his mom could have come. Maura hasn't met him yet and I'm sure she'd really like to. I just didn't understand Harry's reason for not wanting to come. But I was going to give him space. One thing I didn't want to do was be clingy and spend every moment with him.

Well, I did want to spend every moment with him. Who wouldn't? But it's not like I'll admit that.

Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that he wasn't coming. Niall and him still haven't said a single word to each other since Saturday. They haven't so much as looked at each other. I was glad that I didn't have any classes with both of them at the same time. I don't know how I could survive that. Lunch was more than enough. Whenever Niall spoke, Harry would tense up and not speak for the next five minutes. He thought I didn't notice but I did. He's not as subtle as he thought.

Niall wasn't as dramatic. He would simply ignore Harry's comments and reply to whoever spoke after him.

They just needed to stop acting like a couple of 13 year old's and get over it. It was a misunderstanding and they were making everything a big deal.

"Diana!" my mom snapped, turning around in her seat to face me. "I've called you three times already."

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Bobby was taking the side dishes for sure, right?" she asked.

"Yeah."

She turned back around to face the front just as we pulled into the hospital parking lot. Between the three of us, we were able to carry everything we had brought for dinner up to Maura's temporary room. The lady at the front desk gave us a weird look as we checked in but didn't say anything. I guessed not many people had Thanksgiving dinner in a hospital.