Chapter 25

(Diana P.O.V)

As I was getting my homework done after school, all I could think about was Harry.

He had offered to stay with me today until I went to work in a few hours but I didn't want him to. I still wasn't completely sure about forgiving him a third time but it felt like the right thing to do. He was my soul mate and we should at least try to make this work.

He was proving to be the old Harry again, anyway. He told me he loved me every day and as always, he made me feel special whenever he talked to me. He looked at me like I was the most interesting person ever and like I was the only one he'd look at with such care and love. I hoped all of that was worth forgiving him yet again.

Just as I was about to switch from Calculus homework to English, a knock came from my door.

I left my pencil on the page I was working on and closed my book. When I opened the door, Niall was standing there with his hands in his pockets.

I was momentarily shocked seeing him here. We hadn't talked at all the past week and he hasn't come over in what felt like at least a month. Curiosity sparked in me as I wondered what he came here for.

I really hoped he was here to apologize or something because I couldn't stand what our relationship has become. I needed to be able to talk to him freely again. To hug him whenever I felt weak. To spend afternoons with him watching movies in my room like before.

I missed him a ton and I really hoped he did too.

"Hey," he said, looking down at his shoes.

I hesitated a moment before answering. "Hey."

After standing there awkwardly for a few seconds, he asked, "Can I come in?"

"Oh, yeah, of course." I moved to the side so he was able to walk inside my room. I tried to not show it in my voice how happy I was to be talking to him again.

He walked in slowly and nervously, as if it was the first time he was visiting my house. Like he hasn't simply walked in here without asking so many times before. He took off his shoes at the door and tentatively sat on the edge of my bed. He moved my stuff aside and patted the space next to him, motioning for me to sit there.

I did, sitting close to him but leaving some space in between.

"So, uh...," he started. "How have you been?"

"Good," I said. I gave him a small smile and he returned one that didn't exactly seem genuine.

"That's good." He looked around my room as if taking it all in. I guess he hasn't been here in so long that everything was just now coming back to him.

I watched his beautiful blue eyes roam around. I wondered what he was thinking about. Things were so different between us and I didn't know what to do.

I couldn't even figure out when it was exactly that we started to grow apart. We had been acting as if everything was fine but we couldn't ignore the growing tension tearing us apart. At least I couldn't.

Niall turned to look at me and he put a hand to my cheek, swiping a thumb over the fading cut. The one I had gotten from Harry. His hand felt so warm against my skin. Harry's rings were always cold and gave me shivers but Niall's touch was so comforting.

"Did he... Ever, like..."

I shook my head. "He hasn't hit me again if that's what you're trying to say." I was surprised at how easily the words came out of me. They tasted so bitter in my mouth yet I didn't find difficulty in saying them.