Chapter 16

Everything with Niall seemed fake after that weekend. I couldn't act as I did before with Niall because things didn't feel the same. Our jokes were forced and our conversations empty. I was on edge the whole time, worried that he would find something to argue with me about. I was walking on eggshells around him. We were acting like everything was fine when it clearly wasn't.

Harry and I were getting back to normal. I was hesitant of forgiving him a second time but he kept proving to be the sweet Harry he was before. Saturday was just a misunderstanding and knowing what he's been through in his childhood, I was going to cut him some slack. After all, I'd be angry too if I saw him with his arm around another girl. He didn't even hurt my arm badly so there was no reason to be mad.

Luanne and Liam were oblivious to everything happening around them. They were either ignoring the tension between Harry, Niall, and I or they just really didn't notice anything. Even though I was sure my situation was written all over my face since I've always been an open book. I realized that I haven't been talking to them as much as I used to. I made a mental note to meet up with Luanne one day and just catch up.

"Did you guys hear that Abigail met her soul mate yesterday?" Luanne asked.

We were all sat in our usual lunch table. As any other day, Luanne and Liam were in front of me, Niall on my left, Harry on my right. With Harry and Niall ignoring each other and Luanne and Liam not being able to get their hands off each other, I was surprised I haven't suffocated to death already.

"Oh, really?" Niall asked. His voice lacked the surprise that would come with a question like that, making him seem uninterested in what she was saying.

Luanne nodded, ignoring his tone. "It's that awkward blond kid with the lip ring that always sits in the back of the room."

"Luke?" Liam asked.

Harry quietly ate his hamburger next to me with one hand while the other held mine. I held his hand loosely in mine, not quite pressing my fingers like he was.

She nodded again. "They make a cute couple. They seem really happy together. I saw them in the hall earlier and they were all cozy and adorable." My friend beamed as she talked about them like if she were the one that set them up.

Liam looked at her, his eyes filled with care. As always. "Like we were when we first met."

"We're still like that," she said.

I looked away as they kissed and moved even closer together. Almost three years and I still haven't gotten used to their PDA.

Harry nudged me with his shoulder. "Hey."

"Hi," I said, taking a bite of my own hamburger.

He leaned in close to me and whispered, "You're beautiful."

I blushed instantly, still not looking at him. He'd been doing this more and more lately. Giving me small complements and kisses here and there. He was trying to make up for hurting me a second time and I appreciated it. I didn't like the attention but I rather he do this than completely ignore what he did. And besides, attention from someone like Harry wasn't a bad thing.

"Hey," Harry said again. He put his hand under my chin and raised my head so my eyes met his. He put his forehead on mine, our sandwiches and everything around us momentarily forgotten. My breath hitched and his gorgeous gaze held mine. His emerald green eyes were only brightened when I was this close to him. The specks of yellow that could only be seen from my position made his eyes like something out of a fantasy book. I normally don't like the color green but he brought it to a whole different level.

He closed them and smirked before giving me a quick peck on the cheeks and pulled away. I blew out a breath I didn't know I was holding. He literally took my breath away. I don't know if I'll ever get used to being with him.