Chapter 20

"So are you and Harry going to the dance on Saturday?" Luanne asked me. 

I sidestepped to the left before a girl that wasn't watching where she was going bumped into me. I huffed, tired of all the ninth and tenth graders in this school. I couldn't wait to get out of here in a few months.

"What dance?" I answered. I didn't keep up much with the events going on in my school so Luanne was always the one to tell me. 

She looked at me incredulously. "The Soul Mates dance, Diana!"

"We have that here?" 

She scoffed. "Duh. Almost every school has it at one point or another."

I absolutely hate school dances. The fake girls showing off everything they had, the awful food, the cheap venue. It all just didn't interest me. The only dance I've been to was in ninth grade and it ended up with me vomiting in the girls bathroom because of something I ate. After that, I've never been to another school dance again.

Now that I thought about it, though, going to a dance with Harry might actually be kind of fun. Seeing him in a suit might just make up for all the negative things. 

"Are you and Liam going?" I fixed my book bag strap so it was higher up on my shoulder.

Luanne nodded vigorously. "Of course! He asked me in the cutest way. We were eating Chinese food and when I opened my fortune cookie, instead of the normal fortune things they have, there was a paper from Liam asking me to go to the dance. How adorable is that?" She turned to look at me with the biggest smile on her face. 

I returned the smile and playfully nudged her with my shoulder. "Super adorable. How did he even get the paper in there?"

She shrugged and made the 'I don't know' sound. "But it was really surprising. I can't believe he would take the time to do that."

I was glad that she had a soul mate like Liam. He made her feel really special and she deserved that. It reminded me of Harry with me. He always seemed to know just what to say when I was upset or angry. He could say the sweetest things when he wanted to. 

"So are you guys going?" Luanne asked again.

I shrugged, not sure what to answer. "I don't know." Harry hadn't brought it up at all and I'm not even sure if he knew about it either. 

"Well you should ask him to go," she said.

We made it to our seventh period, our last class of the day, and took our seats in our usual spots. The class was still half empty and the teacher was no where to be seen.

"But what if he planned to ask me?" I turned in my seat so I'd be facing my friend. 

"It's the 21st century!" she exclaimed. "You don't have to wait for the guy to ask you to a dance."

I scratched the back of my neck- a habit I got from Harry- thinking about what to do. I knew Harry well enough that he wouldn't want to go. I don't really want to either but it's senior year and it's our last chance to go to one of these things. I didn't want to grow up and regret all the events I didn't go to in senior year. 

I finally sighed and said, "Okay, I'll talk to him about it."

"Yay!" She clapped her hands once and hugged me. "And don't worry. Even if he-"

She was cut off by our teacher entering the classroom and the bell ringing 2 seconds later. Luanne and I faced the front as he began the lesson. 

I spent the whole class thinking about asking Harry to the dance. I was nervous but I knew I had no reason to be. Harry would do anything for me. He made that clear to me already. And if he didn't want to go, I could try to convince him to change his mind. Or at least to think about it. After all, it was on Saturday so we still had a few days.