Part 4

We lived close enough to school that we could walk when it was nice out. All of us werewolves attended the local school West Grove High, ironically our mascot was a wolf. Most of the school was made of up of werewolves but there were also humans. My dad thinks it's a good training tool for us to go to school with the humans, help us learn to control our anger and ourselves around the humans so that we won't ever give ourselves away. There were a few humans around here that knew who we were but they were also mates to some of our pack so we know they would never say anything, especially when after they are marked they will also turn to werewolves. Occasionally the human mates close family will figure out there is something different going on with their new in-law family but they are nicely warned to keep their mouths shut or else.

Then there were the humans who know all about us and hated us, also known as The Hunters. They believed our kind to be an abomination and spend their lives hunting and killing us. Whole packs have been wiped out from their attacks. They didn't use your typical silver bullets and wolfs bane gas either, oh no, they've evolved their weapons into killing machines. While we are hurt by silver and wolfs bane, there are apparently other herbs and metals that will bother us. It's why my grandfather created the research team, their job is to go out and discover all the new herbs, plants, metals, or anything that they can find that will hurt us. How do they test the new items they find you may ask? We have a whole dungeon full of murderous rogues that serve us well as lab rats.

"Have you heard a word I've said?" Renee asked me interrupting my thoughts. Renee had been talking non-stop about my party tomorrow since we left the house.

I'm had only half listening. I've been trying not to think too hard about tomorrow, honestly I was more nervous than I was excited. Maybe it's the anxiety of having all eyes on me, I am the Alphas oldest and his only daughter so everyone from the pack will be in attendance. Or the anxiety of not finding my mate, or even worse my mate not being Jeremy.

"Sorry. I've been trying not to think too much about it." I gave her a sheepish smile and was given an eye roll in response.

"Let me guess, you were day dreaming about Jeremy again?" She gave me a bored look. I actually hadn't been but now that she mentioned him my thoughts down the happy trail that is Jeremy Martin. Jeremy is far from boring, at least I think so. He was a lot like me in the fact that he didn't like to party and would rather spend the time at home with a book or spending time with his family. I can see how miss social butterfly would think he was boring, but I thought he was just right. Jeremy was my kind of wolf.

"Who's dreaming about me?" My face heated up as I shook my head out of my day dreaming fog.

"Uh, no one. Why would you think that? No day dreaming here. Nope, nothing." I stammered. I mentally face palmed myself, smooth Annie, very smooth.

Jeremy laughed and patted my head, "Good morning short cake!" His nick name for me ever since he hit his growth spurt and is now taller than me. "Morning Ren" He greeted Renee and slung his arms around both of our shoulders.

"Morning." We both responded.

"Did you get the chemistry homework done?" I asked him as we walked up the stairs into school. Chemistry is the only class Jeremy and I have together, which is probably why I am failing. I'm too busy staring at Jeremy and naming our future cubs to learn about protons and atoms and what they do or don't do. And my mom thinks I don't think about cubs and what not, ha!

"Of course I did, do you not know me? I had it done before supper last night." Oh I know him alright, would like to get know him a little bit better if you know what I mean. "Question is short cake, did you get the homework done?" He gave me a teasing look knowing full well that I most likely did not do the homework.

"Uhhh." I stared off into the distance like I suddenly found something interesting to look at.

"Did you hear that Sam is going to escort Annie tomorrow night?" Renee asked Jeremy. Seriously, I wanted to slap my hand over her mouth sometimes.

"No I didn't, doesn't that kinda defeat the whole purpose? Your eighteenth birthday party is for finding your mate, why would you need an escort?" I gave Jeremy my biggest smile, he got it! It was stupid for me to have an escort.

"Alpha thinks it will be nice for Annie to an escort incase her mate isn't there." Renee said in response. "Who knows, maybe said escort will turn out to be her mate."

"Hmm I'm not sure I agree with the Alpha's logic on that one but who am I to question the Alphas orders. Sam would make a great mate, he is an excellent warrior." And now Jeremy has been sucked into the pro Sam club. Seriously, I cannot win.

"That's what I told her too! I mean yes he's a little arrogant but he may be different as a mate." Renee said all excited.

"Well as fun as it has been listening to you two talk about me like I'm not here, I need to get to my locker before home room." That came out a little bit ruder than I intended but seriously. Does no one care about what I think?

I ignored their calls as I stalked to my locker. I continued to fume as I tried to get into my locker, does anyone else ever have issues with their lock every day or is it just me? If we weren't surrounded by humans I would just break the stupid thing.

"Awe is my poor future mate having issues with her lock? If only her strong capable mate was around to help her. Oh wait, he has arrived." I turned my head to glare at Sam who was now leaning on the locker next to me. Sam also thinks that I am his mate, he has no reason to think that other than my dad thinking it also. Heaven forbid Sam ever disagree with the Alpha.

"You are NOT my mate, not now, not ever. And no, I do not need or want your help." I said to him thru clenched teeth.

"Oh come on baby, you know we are destined to be together. I will be the best Alpha our pack has ever seen, and you the best Luna. After your parents of course. With my strength and power, your brains, we will be unstoppable." And there it is... the whole reason he wants to be my mate. Power. He doesn't want to be my mate to have his other half, oh no, he wants to be my mate so he can be Alpha. I honestly think he would reject his own mate if it meant that he could have more power.

"Do not call me baby. We are not mates. I would rather cut off my arm than be mated to you." I would lose both arms to not be his mate.

"Feisty. I like it. Why don't you give your sexy mate a kiss to show him how feisty you can be in other situations." He caged me up against my locker so I was stuck between his arms, there is no way I'm strong enough to push him away. He leaned in like he was going to kiss me.

"NO!" I yelled turning my head. "Leave me alone!"

Sam grabbed my chin and turned it back to him as he leaned in to try to kiss me again. I squirmed under his grip trying to get away from him.

"I'm pretty sure the lady said to leave her alone." Said a voice from a few lockers down.