Part 15

As Renee and I walked down the hall to the main room I was feeling confident. This was it. This what I have been waiting for. Had my night gone how I thought it would so far? No, but now that I had my cry I was ready to see who the moon goddess had given me as a mate. I tried to shake of the nagging feeling I was having chalking it up to being nerves. We reached the double doors that were shut and Renee turned to me.

"Are you ready?" Her smile infectious.

I took a deep breath trying to calm my nerves and then nodded. "I'm ready."

"Knock em' dead." She winked at me and threw open the doors.

I was stopped in my tracks as soon as the doors opened, the hall had been decorated beautifully. Blue like the color of my dress and coral was the theme and all the decorations reflected that tastefully. My family had out done themselves. I looked ahead of me and saw my path I was to take to the center of the room. As custom, all unmated werewolves that were eighteen and older lined a route to the center of the room. The person that was now eighteen took the path the unmated werewolves made and looked each of them in the eye looking for their mate. When you found your mate in line you made your way to the center of the room for your first dance. Werewolves didn't have weddings, but this was the closest thing we had.

"Annie... I really think we should-" Nan said to me as I stepped into the room and I quickly cut her off.

"Nan I really appreciate you wanting to give me a heads up but I really want to be surprised!"

"Oh, you're going to be surprised all right." She snapped at me. I didn't mean to upset her but I really did want to be surprised! She said I would be surprised, I wonder what means. Before I could get a chance to think about what she meant because the first person in line had stepped forward, of course it was Sam. I purposefully did not look him in the eyes right away.

"Annie, what took you so long? You've kept me and these people waiting, they want to see me be chosen as their future Alpha!" Sam scolded me. "Would you look me in the eyes already?"

As I lifted my eyes to his, I couldn't help the huge smile that broke out on my face. I looked him square in the eyes and saw the look of disappointment cross his face as he realized we were not mates. I nodded my head at him and stepped forward to keep moving. I was stopped by Sam grabbing my arm.

"This isn't over, if you do not find your mate tonight I will be the one you choose. Even if you do find him, let's just say no one is as strong as me. I will destroy him." Sam whispered to me, I couldn't help the angry feeling that bubbled up inside of me. How dare he threaten my mate! I ripped my arm from his grasp and straightened my shoulders. I was not going to let him ruin this for me, tonight was going to be magical and the best night of my life. I took another breath and put a small smile on my face as I moved forward. One by one each of the unmated males stepped forward to make eye contact with me as I walked by, and with each one I could feel my stomach sinking. I was almost to the end of the line and I had yet to find my mate. I tried to keep my head up high and not let the tears fall as I looked the last guy in the eyes, he wasn't my mate either. None of them were the one! As I made it to the center of the room alone I could hear the whispers start.

'That Alpha's daughter doesn't have a mate!'

'Who will our next Alpha be now?'

I could feel myself starting to have a panic attack and I started searching the room franticly for my dad, my mom, my friends, anyone! This party needed to start and get the attention of me, NOW. My breathing became harder and my head started spinning.

"Why's everyone standing around? Pick your jaws up and let's eat! Food is in the back of the room, and there's only 5 dozen of my special cupcakes. First come first served, so you better get on it!" My Oma's spoke up loudly and her announcement about her cupcakes got people moving. I gave her a grateful look as she started shooing and herding people to the food. She waved her hand at the guy running the stereo and he quickly started the music drowning out the whispers.

The Unexpected MateOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara