Part 44

Since I wasn't going to be seeing Troy tonight because of the conference I decided to be proactive and get some homework done. Nothing like waiting till the end of the year to start doing homework, going out with a bang is how I see it. I was engrossed in a reading assignment when I heard a knock on my door.

"Thou shalt enter" I proclaimed in my most Shakespearian voice I had.

"Thou shalt enter?" My dad questioned me as he walked into my room.

"English homework, we have to read parts of a few of Shakespeare's works and I guess I was more into it than I thought." I smiled and looked over at my dad who was sitting on my bed. It was unusual for my dad to come into my room and talk to me, it usually meant I was in trouble.

"What's up?" I asked slowly, not sure if I really wanted to know why he was here.

"I just wanted to see if you were really set on making this trip across country to find your mate. There are perfectly good options here for you to choose from." One thing I appreciated about my dad was that he was straight to the point.

"You mean I have Sam right? Because that's the only option you have given me." I responded in what I hoped was a calm voice. I didn't want to snap at my dad but I was still very irritated that he had insisted that I take Sam as my mate. Scratch that, after what happened this morning with Sam I am more than irritated.

"I still stand by that decision, I think you would be mistaken to take anyone but Sam as your mate." I pushed down the feeling to roll my eyes and kept listening. "However, your mother and I have had a few discussions on the matter and your mother has changed my mind."

"What do you mean?" I asked. Mom knew about me and Troy, but there was no way she had told dad. He wouldn't be as calm as he is now, so I'm not sure where he is going with this.

"Annie, your mother and I have raised you to be a strong, independent woman who is going to be an excellent Luna. You have proved how capable, smart, and responsible you are on many occasions. With that being said, choosing your mate should not be decided by me or your mother." I looked at him with a confused expression, was this really happening? Was my dad giving me the okay to choose whoever I wanted, meaning I could have Troy by my side?

"If at the end of the summer you have not found your mate, you will need to choose one, I still stand by that decision. Now that you are eighteen your Luna training will increase and you need a mate by your side. I know I told you that you had to pick Sam, and I still think it is the best option; but we are giving you the okay to choose whichever boy from our pack that you would like to have as a mate. Your mother reminded me that we raise all of our young men to be fine wolves and warriors. With a few lessons from me they can be turned into a great Alpha."

My heart sunk, I couldn't choose whoever I wanted, I had to choose a wolf from our pack.

"What if my mate turns out to be a human? What then?" Troy could potentially turn into a human when I marked him. If I could get my dad to agree to me having a human mate everything may work out. This could be the loop hole I had been waiting for.

My dad scoffed at my question, "A human? Why would you want a human mate that you would have to start from scratch with? Human's that turn to werewolves after they are marked aren't nearly as strong as a born werewolf. Not to mention they would be a lot of work to prepare them to be an Alpha. You will need to have a werewolf as a mate, end of discussion." My father stood and walked to my bedroom door.

"I know this is hard on you Annie but there's the pack to think about. They need a leader, a strong one they can depend on. I hope you can understand that." He closed the door behind him and my room was silent once more. There was only one thing I understood, Troy and I would need a miracle if we were going to make it thru all of this together.