Part 17

Renee stayed for a few hours Saturday night making her road trip list and then watching movies with me. I must have fallen asleep at some point because when I had woken up that morning she was gone. I spent the rest of Sunday doing my normal homework and the extra homework for Professor Addison's class. He had been there last night, I wondered if he would give me an extension again seeing as my night was disastrous. I didn't want to risk it and did more than he asked, any extra credit I can get in that class the better. Although since I know Jeremy isn't my mate maybe I can pay attention a little bit more now. Another reason I did extra work was to avoid my parents, I was still upset with them. Let's be honest, I'll probably be upset with them for a while.

As I made my way into the kitchen Monday morning my plan was to grab a banana and head out the door before anyone could see me. The smell of pancakes and bacon hit me as I walked into the kitchen.

"Good morning sweetie." My mom said chipperly and met me with a warm smile. "How many pancakes would you like?"

I narrowed my eyes, good move mom, good move. But I wasn't going to be swayed by plain ole' pancakes. Nope, I was just going to get a banana and-

"They're your favorite, peanut butter and chocolate chip." She added making me freeze in my steps. Crap, those were my all-time favorite. "I know you barely ate anything yesterday if at all, you've got to be hungry." She added softly. She was right, all I ate yesterday was the bag of skittles I found in my desk drawer and Saturday all I had was a sandwich.

"I'll take two." I said plopping down at the kitchen table, I was starving.

"Push over." Nan rolled her eyes at me. She didn't understand how amazing these pancakes were, she would in a minute.

"Annie, I want to talk to you." Mom said as plunked a plate of pancakes in front of me making my mouth water. I looked around for dad to come in, singing Sam's praises. "Don't worry, your dad left for a meeting already. It's just us." That made me feel better and I dug into my pancakes.

"What do you want to talk about?" I said around a mouthful of pancakes.

"You're right, totally worth it." Told you, I mentally stuck my tongue out at Nan.

"I want to talk you about what happened Saturday. I want you know that I do not agree with your father and think he is wrong to ask what he is asking you to do." I stopped shoveling pancakes in my mouth and stared at my mom. I have never once seen her speak against my dad on a matter, not only was he her mate but also her alpha. Luna's are able to push the Alpha's more than anyone else but in the end it's the Alphas decision. What he say's goes.

"You know I can't change your fathers mind but I want you know that I support you and will help you however I can. I love you sweetie and I want to see you happy with your mate, no matter who he is. I uh, heard you and Renee talking last night, about training him if you have to? I think it's a great idea." She leaned over and squeezed my hand.

"You do?!" It probably came out a little more muffled than that because I had a mouthful of pancakes. She thought it was a great idea? Renee would love to know my mom approved of her plan!

"Yes and I will do whatever I am able to help you. You know I can't directly disobey your father but, what he doesn't know about this won't hurt him will it?" She gave me her crinkle nose smile which she only gave when she was super excited about something.

"Thank you." I threw my arms around my mom's neck. I didn't know what else to say besides thank you. Knowing she was on my side in this made life a lot easier. "I'll make you proud mom, I'll be the best Luna I can be."

"I know sweetie, now finish up your pancakes before you're late for school." She plopped another pancake on my plate before heading upstairs to wake up my brother. As I watched her leave the kitchen I couldn't help be amazed by my mother, if I was even half of the woman she was when I got older I would be happy.

I ended up being late for school, not super late but enough that the halls were deserted by the time I got to my locker. Thankfully Miss Horn my homeroom teacher is super laid back, she probably doesn't even realize that I'm missing yet. Even if she gave me a late slip the extra pancake was totally worth so I wasn't too upset. I opened my locker only to have it slammed back shut.

"Hey there, mate." I clenched my jaw as I felt Sam cage me in from behind.

"You are not my mate." I made sure to announce and punctuate every word hoping he would understand.

"Oh really? Because from what I saw Saturday, you didn't find your precious soul mate, which means you will mate with me." He stuck his nose in the crook of my neck and smelled.

I whirled around on him, "I will find my mate! I'm traveling this summer to every pack until I find my mate." I decided to leave out the part of where I only have till fall, and that he has to be worthy.

"Oh please, Alpha will never go for a plan like that." Sam scoffed and stepped back crossing his arms. He didn't believe me.

I gave him the biggest smirk I could, "Actually it was my father's idea. If you don't believe me I'm sure he would love to have his decisions questioned by you."

Sam snarled at me and hit the locker beside me, "I will be Alpha, with or without you. It would be a lot easier for you to just accept that now and get with the program."

"Oh really? Because to be Alpha I'm pretty sure you DO need me, and you don't have me." I smiled at him. He doesn't have me, and he won't ever have me.

"I don't have you yet my dear mate," he said as he stroked my cheek "I don't have you yet." I glared at him as he walked away to his homeroom. That guy has got so much nerve! And after that, I am now more than ever determined to find my mate. I don't care if I have to travel all over the United States, I will find him.

"Annie, you're not going to have to travel far." Nan said excitedly.

"What do you mean Nan?"

"I'm catching his scent, it's our mate. He's here." She was jumping up and down in my head.

He's here! Our mate is here. I quickly scan the hallway but I don't see anyone.

"Are you sure? There's no one around." I kept scanning the halls hoping our mate would appear.

"I'm sure! He's here, I can smell his scent. It's weird though...... definitely not wolf." She sounded confused.

So my mate is human, I felt my heart sink a little. Not ideal considering the pressure coming from my dad but I can make it work. I would make it work. Between me, Renee, and my mom I'm sure we will be able to get him trained and ready by the end of summer. That's if he doesn't freak out when I tell him about werewolves, mates, etc. The very few times werewolves have been mated with humans they had tried to ease their human mates into the werewolf world, I didn't have time for that. It would work though, I had to make it work.

"I didn't say he was human.... It's weird. I don't know what it is." Nan interrupted my thoughts.

"He's not human? If he's not werewolf, and he's not human what is he?" Now I was confused. There was just werewolves and humans. That's it! You're either are one of us or you aren't.

"Well if you would quick freaking out I could finish explaining. There's definitely no wolf scent that I'm sure of. There is human scent but that's not all of it, there's a smell of-"

"MISS ROGERS!" I jumped at the sound of Principle Jacobs booming voice. "I'm sure you have an excellent excuse for why you are loitering in the hall and not in your homeroom."

"Um..." Yes actually, I was trying to have a conversation with Nan about our mate until you so rudely interrupted. Considering Principle Jacobs is human I stuck with my "Um" response.

"And I'm going to guess you do not have a hall pass either?" He said crossing his arms.

Just as I was about to respond the bell rang. "I better get to Math class before I'm late, bye Principle Jacobs!" I took off for my class before he had a chance to stop me.