Part 16

I know I should go back into the party but I just can't bring myself to go back in there. After not finding my mate in front of everyone I was humiliated. Then if that wasn't bad enough, I was just given a time limit to find my mate. To top off the night, I was also told that if my mate was not 'suitable' I had to reject him. I was past the point of being angry, I was just devastated now. I walked away from the Pavilion and went into the woods. I made sure I was hidden behind the trees and took my clothes off so I could shift. It was a long walk back home but I could get there in no time running in wolf form. I let the shift take over and felt my bones cracking into place. I shook my fur out and scooped my dress and shoes up in my mouth to carry home.

"Annie do you really think your parents will make you reject our mate?" Nan whispered to me as we started to run towards home. It was a lot slower than our run earlier that day, both of us were sad and just not feeling it.

"I don't know. I want to say no but I feel like he may." I told her honestly. My father was all about the pack, what was good for the pack, what the pack needed, his world revolved around it. A good quality to have as an Alpha, but it made it harder on his family. I don't remember him being so hard on me when I was younger but as I got older the stricter he became. He and my mother were molding me into becoming a Luna to be proud of. While I was thankful for the training and I want to be a great Luna, sometimes I wonder if there isn't more to being a great leader than sitting thru lessons.

"We can't let him do that, mates are a gift from the moon goddess." Nan begged me, I didn't respond because I agreed with her but I didn't know how to change my dad's mind. I just prayed that my mate would be worthy enough in my dad's eyes. We reached my house and I shifted back to my human form before I walked inside. I stopped in the kitchen to make a sandwich since I hadn't eaten at the party and then I made my way up to my room. I slipped on some PJ's and started to crawl into my bed when I heard a small knock on my door.

"Come in." I called out more as a question, I didn't know who would be knocking on my door, most everyone was at the party. I was surprised to see David peak his head in.

"David what are you doing here? You didn't want to stay at the party with your friends?" I questioned him. He loved spending time with his friends and any kind of party.

"We saw you get upset with mom and dad at the party, then we heard what mom and dad said to you outside. We just wanted you to know that we think it's unfair." He explained.

"We?" My question was answered as Renee came in behind David.

"David and I are both eves' droppers, sue us." Renee said shrugging her shoulders as she plopped down on my bed.

"Why aren't mom and dad okay with you finding your mate? You should be allowed to love whoever you want! I'll be ready to be Alpha in 10 years, the pack can wait for me, I know they wouldn't mind." He gave me a huge smile.

"I know David, and you would make a great Alpha too." I smiled at him. "Why don't you head back to the party? You may be able to sneak one Oma's cupcakes still."

"Okay!" He wrapped his little arms around me and hugged me before he walked out the door "Love you Annie, don't be sad!"

"Love you too." I told him giving him the best smile I could. I didn't have it in me to tell him with his disabilities he would never be Alpha, that would just be cruel and heartless. The second child can become Alpha or Luna of a pack but only if something was to happen to the eldest child. Like death, serious sickness, or mateless. The oldest child could not take over the pack without a mate which is why my parents are pushing so hard for me to find mine or to take another as my mate. Another fun fact is that if I do find my mate I have to mark him or reject him, if I don't do either I will die within a years' time. So, no pressure or anything.

"You know for a little dork he's not too bad sometimes. His hearing is great too, he can eves drop with me anytime!" Renee said looking at the door before turning to look at me. "Annie what your parents are asking of you is completely unfair. What are you going to do? And don't you dare go rogue on me. I can't stand to lose you!" I could tell she was about to have a panic attack.

"Calm down. Going rogue was just a threat to throw at my parents, I wouldn't actually go rogue." I sighed. I could never do it but sometimes being out from under my parents thumb sounds appealing.

"You better not. I can't lose you." She wrapped me in a hug. "How are you going to find your mate?"

That was the big question, "I guess I'm going to be traveling a lot this summer. Go to as many packs as I can and try to find him. Pray to the goddess that if and when I find him and he's 'worthy'." I said the last part with my signature eye roll.

"And if he's not you have to reject him and take Sam. Complete and utter frosted flakes!" Renee cursed as she stood up.

"Did she seriously just say frosted flakes?" Nan asked.

"That's her way of swearing, she hates the things so anything bad is frosted flakes." I explained to Nan.

"Who hates frosted flakes? Your friend...." I could just see Nan rolling her eyes.

"I agree but what can I do?" I really was at a loss.

"We will think of something, we have all summer to figure it out. And we will figure it all out together! There's no way I'm leaving you alone on this. You would do it for me." Renee was now pacing back and forth in my room. I would do anything for Renee and she knows it. We've been there for each other since we were in diapers, she has my back and she knows I have hers.

I looked over at Renee who had stopped her pacing, "Uh-oh..... I know that look." It was her 'I have a plan, it's probably crazy but I have a plan' look. Usually these plans did not end up well and ended up with one or both us hurt or in trouble.

"I have a plan. Oh stop rolling your eyes this is a good one! Say you find your mate and he's a loser, stop giving me that look. Fine, say your mate isn't.... 'Up to par'. We will train him!" She started doing a little jib thrilled about her plan.

"Train him?" I gave her a confused look. She's lost it, she really thinks that two female werewolves will be able to get a male werewolf to listen to them? There's no way! Men already have ego problems, add in being a were wolf. Ha! There is absolutely no way.

"Now listen. Once you find him, you'll realize you're mates and he will be so head over heels in love with you that he won't even know that we are training him! We can stay with his pack for a while, get him ready and then bring him back to Uncle Alf who will be so impressed with how awesome his daughters mate is that he will pronounce you Alpha and Luna right there!" Renee sat back with a smile obviously proud of herself. I have to admit, it's not a horrible idea. It could work, and I mean what's the worst that could happen? I end up mated with Sam, that's the worst that could happen.

"I can't believe I'm getting ready to say this but okay. Let's do it. School will be done in a few weeks and then we can start looking." I gave in. Her idea wasn't horrible, it really could work. I just hope whoever my mate is won't require any training.

"EEK! Yay!! Road trip, road trip, road trip! We need to start planning our route, where do you want to go first? Oh and whose care we taking? We will need to pack lots of snacks.... Oh and we will need a road trip play list...." Renee was already jumping over my desk to grab paper and a pen making her list. I sat back on my bed and wondered how and if this would all work out. Would it actually work or blow up in our faces?

"It's better to try then to not do anything at all Annie. And you've got me and Renee by your side, no matter what you will always have us." Nan encouraged me. I smiled knowing she was right.