Part 29

The man looking back at me from behind the desk reminded me of a Viking, a very unfriendly one. He was a large man, I thought my father was big but this guy made my dad look like a pup. He was at least 6'4" but he was sitting down so I couldn't be sure. He had white hair that stuck out in all directions and a beard to match, if I hadn't been so scared out of my mind I would have found it comical at how much he looked like the Little Mermaids father. A lot meaner though.

"So. This is the mutt you want to possibly risk your life and everything we have for?" His father spat.

"Steven!" Troy's mom scolded.

"I strongly suggest that if you want keep this civilized and not ruin mother's decorations with a fight, you will show some respect towards Annie." Troy said in a calm voice. I was impressed with his ability to keep it together, I on the other hand was shaking. It was very obvious that his father did not approve of me.

"Now, shall we try this again?" Troy pulled me from hiding spot behind him and put an arm around me. "Father, this is Annie. My mate."

"Your majesty." I curtsied to his father, I knew I wouldn't be receiving a hug like I did from his mother.

"Hmph, mates." His father mumbled. "Well you brought her here for a reason I assume, get on with it. I'm a very busy man and have things to attend to." I thanked the goddess that Troy seemed to take after his mother Sandra, his father was about as friendly as a rogue.

Troy cleared his throat, "As you both know I had the pull towards Annie last year when I transferred to her school. Annie turned 18 last Saturday which is when werewolves are able to find their mates. Yesterday, she confirmed what I had been feeling all along and I became hers." Troy looked at me with eyes full of admiration, I melted right there in my spot I had been frozen in from his dads glare. I was jolted out of happiness by the sound of a fist hitting the desk.

"You let this dog mark you?! We don't even know what that will do to you! How can you be King and bear the mark of a mongrel?!" His dad shouted as he stood up from his chair. Add two more inches to my 6'4" estimate. I jumped to hide back behind Troy as vase full of flowers sitting on the desk exploded soaking his father.

"Why you litt-" His father started to come around the desk towards us.

"Holy frosted flakes....." Nan whimpered.

"ENOUGH!" I stopped and stared at Troy's mother. Her voice held such authority and made both Troy and his father stop in their tracks. "I will NOT tolerate the two of you acting like a couple of sea urchins in this house, especially when we have a guest! I suggest that if you two want to act like guppies you take this elsewhere." She glared at both of them. "You both owe me another vase, that one was an antique!"

"He's the one who broke it." Her husband mumbled.

"Sorry mom....." Troy hung his head.

"Yes, sorry darling." King Alexander said as he sat back down. "I will try to control my temper, even though our son is acting like a comp-"

"Steven." Sandra said stopping him from finishing that sentence. I'm beginning to really like this woman, she would make an amazing Luna. "Now, how about we all sit down and calmly discuss this." She gestured to the two chairs in front of the desk for us to sit down in as she went around the desk and sat on the arm of her husband's chair. She probably wanted to stay between the two men in the room, I thought male wolves were bad, these two could give them a run for their money.

I went to sit in a chair but was pulled into Troy's lap instead. I squirmed to try to get up but he held me fast, "Don't even think about it little fish, we have to hide in the world out there but in here we don't. I want to be close to you any chance I get." He whispered in my ear, nuzzling my neck in the process. I could hear Nan sighing in my head with pleasure, or was that me? Oh goddess did I sigh out loud? I mentally face palmed myself in the forehead, get yourself together Annie!

"Now, Troy, Annie, please tell us what you came here to say." Sandra said.

"First off I would like to say that Annie has not marked me, yet." Troy put emphasis on the 'yet' and stared at his father. "But if that's what it will take for us to be together then I'll wear her mark proudly." His father started to protest but Sandra put a hand on his arm to stop him. She nodded her head at Troy to continue.

"However, we do not know what will happen when Annie marks me. Will I become a werewolf? Will she become a mermaid? And what will happen to Annie once we have the mer bonding ceremony? It's never been performed on anyone other than a mer. Not to mention the issues we are going to have with her father and Annie needing an Alpha when she becomes Luna. And who's going to take over as King when the time comes if I'm a wolf? Last time I checked a wolf can't swim to the ocean floor with no problem and walk around. And what happens if I don't turn into a wolf? Then what? An Alpha has to be a wolf, I'm just a fish!" If I hadn't been sitting in Troy's lap I'm sure he would have been pacing the floor. Troy pulled me against his chest to calm himself, "I do know this though. I will do whatever it takes to be with Annie. I love her more than anything in this world."

I turned in his lap to stare at him, did he just say he loved me?!

"HE DID!! He loves us!!" Nan was doing a little happy dance in my head.

Troy took my face in his hands, "It's true. I should have probably waited to say it for the first time in a little bit more romantic setting and not in front of an audience but I couldn't help it. I love you Annie Jean Rogers and I will do whatever it takes to be the best mate you could ever ask for." He loves me! ME! Being with me will not be easy, and there's so much to overcome but he wants and loves me! I leaned in to kiss him when someone cleared their throat reminding me we weren't alone. I straighten pulling myself away from Troy, who quickly pulled me back in. I looked over at his parents on the other side of the desk, his mom looked like she was fighting happy tears but his dad looked annoyed. I'm guessing he was the throat clearer that ruined the moment.

"Why that's all and good, what do you expect us to do? You have responsibilities to this family and to our people." His father said.

"That's what we are here to find out. Annie didn't even know others existed until yesterday, so we can't exactly ask her family for answers. That's why we came here, you've known about her kind for centuries. What are our options? What do we need to do to be together?" Troy laced our fingers together and gave them a squeeze.

His father sighed and looked at his wife, "Son, I'm not sure what can be done. Something like this has never happened before."

"But there has to be something! There's got to be! Isn't there anyone we can ask? What about the other Kings? Maybe they've seen something like this." Troy pleaded with his parents.

His father hung his head and didn't respond. I looked to his mother, I hope she could see how much her son meant to me and how much we needed this to work.

"We shall ask them." His mother said, "But we can't make you two any promises that we will find answers or solutions."

"Thank you." I said. It was the first time I had spoken since we had stepped into the office.

"I would like to speak to Annie alone if you don't mind." King Alexander said. My eyes widened, me?! He wants to be alone with me?

"Absolutely not. You haven't been nice to her once since we got here, there is no way I'm leaving you alone with her." I wanted to kiss Troy right there in front of his parents but I refrained.

"I promise to be on my best behavior, if you insist on making this work then I need to get to know Annie." His father argued.

Troy was about to argue back but Sandra came around the desk and put her hand on Troy's shoulder, "Let him speak with her." She said.

Troy hesitated and was about to argue again but she put a hand up to stop him, "If he harms her or insults her I give you my word that I will help you torture him." She winked at her husband playfully.

Troy nodded and stood, placing me on my feet. He kissed my temple "I will be right outside that door, all you need to do is holler if you need me." He said as he followed his mom out of the office. I watched them close the door and then turned to face the King.