My heart will never ever change

WARNING! OK THIS AUSLLY FANFIC IS SAD AND IT MIGHT MAKE YOU CRY IT MADE ME CRY

*****************************

The first time it happens, he doesn't think anything of it. Neither does she.

They're twenty-one, and on his tour bus eating dinner after his show, and she forgets the word ketchup.

"Hey Austin, can you pass me a packet of-" she says, pausing, a confused expression on her face.

He gives her a strange look. "Um...ketchup?" he asks, handing it to her, and she nods, relieved.

"Ketchup," she repeats, and her mouth forms the word the same as it always has. "Ketchup!" she says. "That was weird, I just completely blanked."

He raises an eyebrow. "I think you've been staying up too late."

She scoffs. "But when am I supposed to do my homework, Austin? And write you your next single? I couldn't just skip college-like some people," she says pointedly.

"Couldn't or wouldn't?" he asks teasingly, and then his expression grows concerned. "Seriously though, Ally, you look kinda tired. Come on, I'll go to bed too."

"But I have an online final tomorrow and three chapters of a book to read and-"

"And you're Ally, and I'd bet anything that you know it all already."

She opens her mouth to protest but he just raises his eyebrows. She frowns. "So maybe I do know it, but it never hurts to review and-"

He stands up and takes her wrist and she sputters after him as he drags her to their bunks. "Please?" he asks when he turns to her, his eyes softening.

She sighs. "Fine."

He lets her go.

The second time, they're back home in Miami, and she forgets where her songbook is.

She comes running downstairs in a panic where he's absentmindedly strumming a guitar. The store's closed and he's waiting for her to change before their date.

Date.

Because oh yeah, they're together now. He had kissed her on the last night of tour because she was so pretty, smiling at him after he got off stage after his last show of his first international tour (because Canada counts), and he just couldn't wait anymore. Because he had suddenly realized, in front of three thousand two hundred and thirty nine screaming fans, that it has always been Ally and that it will always be Ally.

And when he had kissed her for the second time in his life, it wasn't the most romantic moment, especially because the bus had gone over a pothole right as he leaned in to press his lips to hers.

But the resulting bump on the head didn't stop her from cupping his cheeks and bringing his face down to hers. "I was hoping you'd do that," she had said when they parted, looking up at him through her eyelashes. And he had understood, at that moment, that there would be nothing in his entire life more right than her.

But the status of their relationship doesn't really pertain to the issue at hand.

"Austin!" she says anxiously. "Where's my book? Did you touch my book? It had all the verses to your new song in it and-"

He quickly puts the guitar down and stands up. "Calm down, Ally, I didn't do anything with it. Did you look where you usually put it?"

Because he saw her writing in her songbook two hours ago, saw her put it on top of the piano in the practice room like always.