A city full of people and my favourite is that waitress

"Hey," Austin says as he stands in front of her door, smiling at the dress she's wearing whilst his hands rest snugly in his pockets. "Ready to go?"

She nods and her honey coloured locks bob as she does so. Instead of grabbing at his hand, she slides her arm through his so they link. Austin scrunches his nose, he's always been more of a hand-holding kind of guy, but he says nothing.

Julie doesn't thank him when he opens her door, but Austin just shakes his head as he walks around to the other side of the car. He wanted this date ―he wants this date ― badly. He's not going to screw it up now.

They drive in silence to the diner he's taking her to, and every time he tries to talk she doesn't respond. It drives him insane to say the least.

He almost feels as if she's acting ungratefully and the date hasn't even started.

Although, his spirits are somewhat lifted when she gets out of the car upon their arrival. Clutching his arm, she says, "Sorry I've been so off. I've got something on my mind."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No I'm okay, just waiting for an answer to something."

Then she smiles radiantly at him and Austin remembers why he wants to take her out in the first place.

They sit opposite each other in their booth across from the counter. The place is a little retro diner that Austin had only been to once before and loved. It played good music all day and he thought it was the perfect place for a first date.

Julie says nothing, so he grasps her hand in his across the table and sends her a charming smile. She doesn't blush, just smiles back and then retracts her hand.

Austin tries to make conversation but she just stares at her menu and Austin feels like drowning himself with the complimentary water. He can't quite remember if he wanted this date or if he did it just to impress his friends.

Her mind is evidently in some faraway place and Austin nearly rests his chin in his palms when a cute girl bounces over to their table and his lips are automatically curving up into a smile.

She's wearing a red dress that stops just above her knees and the short sleeves on her shoulders are slightly puffy. The girl grins at him as he admires her dark chocolate hair, the white pin clipping her fringe back matching her crisp white apron.

The colours of her uniform are block and simple, and she bears no name-tag. Austin still thinks she's the prettiest girl he's ever seen in his life.

This evaluation happens in a matter of seconds, but then he coughs and looks over to Julie to see if she's caught him ogling this other girl. Thankfully, her attention is solely captured by her phone.

He turns back to the cute girl who looks about his age and grins brilliantly. She smiles back, tongue clasped cutely between her teeth.

"Hi, I'm Ally, and I'll be your waitress. May I take your order?"

He orders for Julie when she responds to his question ("What would you like?") with a non-committal shrug. Ally's brows furrow ever so slightly at the display, but she doesn't ask, considering it's none of her business.

The boy she is serving talks to her with charm but also a hint of shyness. If Ally hadn't been doing this job for some time, she probably would've blushed. Luckily, she'd learnt how to compose herself and just took his order with a grin, promising to bring it over as quickly as possible.

She turns her back to him to skip off, when he calls, "My name's Austin, by the way."

Ally turns around to face him, skilfully walking backwards toward the kitchen. "Noted."