Emergency, my ass

"What else do we need?" I scratched my head with my pencil.

"Ooh! We could make cocktails!" Kate was sitting next to me on the couch.

It was Tuesday and we were making a list for my little birthday party. So far the only thing on the list was all kinds of alcohol and chips.

I scribbled cocktails on the list, I'd figure out which ones when I was getting it. I was going to buy everything later today.

"What about snacks?" Kate said when she looked at my list.

"Snake said he'd make all kinds of things so we don't need to worry about that." I love that Snake loves cooking. It didn't hurt that he was actually good at it too. Knowing him he'd probably bring way too much food. Not that I was complaining.

We were silent for a bit. I'd probably just wing it at the store.

"Do you think your dad will allow me to get a bunny?" Here I was, thinking Kate was deep in thought about my party but instead she was thinking about bunnies.

I snorted at the random question.

"I don't know. When I was nine I got a hamster but I felt sorry for the little critter, you know, being in a cage all the time. So I always let it loose. Once it escaped and it flee to the office and apparently it had scared dad. His reflex was to kill it because he thought it was a mouse running around. Luckily I was able to stop him before he turned into a coldblooded killer. It was still a very traumatic experience for me, my dad and Mr. Fluffbum." I said, wiping an imaginary tear from my eye.

"Touching story. I'll ask him anyway, it could never hurt to try, right?" She could try but knowing my dad he'd probably say no.

"Well, you c-" My phone started singing Spiderpig.

"Hang on" I said to Kate while grabbing my phone. The screen said it was Code calling.

Here's the thing about Code, he never calls. Slightly worried I clicked the screen and held the phone to my ear.

"Everything alright?" It was Code so there was no need to say hello first or anything.

"Yeah, uhm, could you come over with your car? It's kinda urgent." Code didn't sound alarmed or anything.

"I'll be there in ten." No explanation needed. When a friend calls you and says it's urgent, you don't question it.

"Okay, bye" Code had hung up before I could say anything else.

"Is everything okay?" Kate asked while I was putting my shoes on.

"I think so? Code asked me to come over, said it was urgent. Could you tell dad I'll come again in a few days?" I had to leave before seeing my dad so I guess I should visit him again in a few days.

"Sure! See you at school" Kate walked me to the door.

"Bye!" Luckily I came in my car since it was raining earlier.

Ten minutes later I was in Code's driveway. The moment I stepped out of the car he opened the front door and came up to me.

"Chase's car broke down when he wanted to head back home so we need to go get him." Chase and Code share a car so Chase was probably stranded somewhere.

"Sure, where is he?" Code was already sitting in the passenger's seat.

"Harvard" Code deadpanned.

Seriously? That's not even far and there are so many buses he could take. That was his emergency? Code could be so lame sometimes.

"Really Code, really?" I sat down behind the wheel and looked at him judgingly.