Chapter 16|Drunken Almost-Revelations

🔱 ALEISHA'S POV 🔱

A whole week passes since the dinner. Noah and I go about minding our own business except for the occasional tutor sessions we are forced to have. Noah sits at my table for a whole week at lunch,  just as we plan and in that one week, he and Hadley get exceptionally close. Close enough for the student body to assume they are dating. I on the other hand am on the constant search for a new tutor as it is obvious that the current tutoring sessions are torturous for both the teacher and the pupil. I don't exactly know what happened between Noah and I but ever since that dinner he is hell bent on cutting all connections with me. Now that he doesn't even sit with us anymore, I barely see him. Except for when he's hanging out with Hadley. To make it worse, Thea has gone back to her university with Ryder. That means I have no one to talk to. Except Dae, but she's too busy with her training sessions.

I tense up as my phone starts ringing from my pocket. Taking it out, I press the answer button.

"Hello?"

"What have you done with my best friend?"

"I'm sorry, who is this?"

"Sweetheart, what have you done to Noah?"

Relief courses through my body as I finally recognise the caller. "I have no idea what you are talking about Jace, I didn't do anything."

"Then why don't I see you at his house anymore? Why does he look so annoyed when I mention your name."

"See, I really don't know. I'm trying to figure why he's giving me the cold shoulder too."

"Well then, I'll find out. Bye Sweetheart."

"Bye Jace."

I sigh. Ending the call, I throw my phone onto the couch. I hated this feeling. The feeling when someone hates you but you have no idea what you did. I guess I'll find out soon.

***

"Okay bye, Sweetie. Your dad and I will be home late, so find wait for us and remember to lock the door before going to bed." My mom says, for the umpteenth time.

"Yes mom, I know. You and dad have fun, okay? I'll manage stuff around here." I reply, standing by the door as my father kisses me on the forehead. I wave my parents goodbye as I watch them leave for their date.

Returning back into the house, I plop onto my couch and grab the TV remote. I flip through channels until I place on the classic chic-flick, '10 Things I Hate About You'. I snuggle into the couch as I sprawl my legs out.

Halfway through the movie, I let out a loud yawn and realise just how tired I am. So switching off the TV, I get ready to climb upstairs when I hear faint knocking on the door. My eyes squint as I curiously glance back at the door, waiting for it to sound again. When it does come a second time, it's louder. I run to the door, my footsteps thumping as loud as my heart.

Slowly peering out the peep hole I let out a huge sigh of relief when I recognize the familiar pair of green eyes but, then gasp as I notice his blue chattering lips. Quicky unlocking the front door, I step out. Careful not to get wet, I drag Noah in. Once I get him inside, I place him on a stool near our kitchen island and then start making him a cup of tea. I turn around and walk up to him, taking a seat on the stool beside him, I wait for an explanation.

"I went out for a small drive because I needed some time to think. It started raining heavily until I couldn't see. Then I remembered that this was your area and here I am."

I stand up when the kettle signals. Walking back with a cup of tea, I reach across the island to place it near him but am stopped when he grips my wrist. He tugs me closer until I'm standing in between of his soaked jean-covered legs. I look up at him startled and notice him staring at me with a thoughtful look in his face. His grip on my wrist loosens as he brings his other arm and securely wraps it around my waist. Bringing his free hand up to my face, he tucks away the errant strands of my hair behind my ears. I curiously watch his every move as I wonder what he's doing.

"You look like someone I know. Someone I love." His voice is soft and smoothly cuts the silence between us. "I don't want to be reminded of her so I'm trying to keep my distance from you. As you can see, I'm not doing very well." He cups my cheek and I shiver from the contact. He lets out a breath and that's when I smell it; alcohol.

"Noah? Are you drunk?" I ask, worried. His thumb moves back and forth against my cheek as he replies, "Not as much as I'd like to be."

"Is something wrong, Noah?" I ask, involuntarily leaning into his touch. "Everything is. I miss her so fucking much. It hurts like hell. Her name i-" I stop him before he can continue, placing a finger against his lips.

"You'll regret telling me in the morning. You should get some rest. If you still want to talk in the morning, I'm always here." He nods curtly, his eyes guard up again, giving away no emotion. He stands up but stumbles a little. I hold him and he leans into me, wrapping both of his arms around my waste, he pulls me against him and buries his face in the crook of my neck.

"You smell like oranges, Aleisha. My favourite" I tense up at the lack of space between us. My mind goes blank and my heart beats wildly against my ribcage.

Something is definitely wrong, with him and me.
~~~
This chapter was written late at night. Almost at midnight. I'm in a horrible state of mind.

Hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and if you did, don't forget to vote and comment.

Byee!

PS: I recently uploaded two new books. Please be kind enough to check them out.