Chapter 23|Shy Smiles And Nods

Waking up the next day was harder than usual. I feel the familiar but unwelcome uncomfortable sensation churning in the pit of my stomach. Letting out a soft groan, I flip myself over, struggling to hold myself up with my wobbly arms and reach over to pick my phone up.

'7:30am' my phone screen read. My school started at 8 and although I would usually be there by now, I decid to cut myself some slack and reach by second period.

Taking two deep breaths, I will myself to get up from my tangled mess of sheets. I sluggishly make my way over to the washroom, placing an arm on my lower back that feels sore.

I exit the bathroom 15 minutes later, feeling slightly better after my scalding hot shower. Picking out the cosiest jumper and some leggings, I change into my clothes. I put in minimal effort and tied my hair into a sloppy bun and apply only Chapstick to my lips, not in the mood to apply any makeup.

Before leaving my room, I remember to pack some extra sanitary napkins, and shoved them inside my bag irritatedly. Slowly but aggressively, I jog down the stairs and enter the kitchen. I mutter a soft 'good morning' to my mother, who sits at the island with a newspaper in hand. I don't miss the way she jumps when I slam the cabinet door shut a little too forcefully, but she doesn't mention it. She knows better. 

After finishing my cup of coffee, I grab a few chocolate bars, knowing that it will be the only source of sanity to get me through the day. One would say that I was being dramatic about something that occured every month but to say that I feel like a disgusting, bloated sewer rat would be an understatement.

The car ride to school goes in a blur of me slamming the horn one too many times at possibly innocent drivers. I blame it all on the hormones. 

I trudge into school, gripping the strap of my backpack tightly. I see Dae standing at my locker as I slowly approach it. She's engaged in a conversation with a timid looking guy who firmly clutches his binders, but on hearing footsteps, she turns and faces me. I send the guy a small smile who nervously returns it before walking away. 

"Who was that?" I inquire, entering my locker's combination and hearing the satisfying 'click' when it opens. 

"Some dude I'm paired with for History." She replies while I take out the books I need. I nod and shut my locker close. 

"You okay? You seem quiet." Dae searches my face and immediately understands the look I give her.

Nodding sympathetically, she rubs my arm comfortingly. "I have painkillers, if you need them. Just let me know, okay?" She speaks after a while.

I only nod and send her a grateful smile. She smiles back and then starts walking to her first class of the day. Since my class I in the opposite direction, I turn and start walking.

Today was going to be a long day, I thought, letting out a tired sigh.

***
I successfully managed to navigate myself through most of the day with minimal contact and conversation and even forced myself to stomach a few bites of pasta. But now I had one last period; Biology.

After mine and Noah's interaction a day ago, I was trying my best to not to cross paths with him. Especially since I didn't know how to feel around him anymore. But seeing him in Biology class was inevitable unless he was absent. The fact that we were now going to the dance together didn't make things better either.

Maybe I was just overreacting and blowing this situation way out if proportion. I nodded to myself and pushed the door handle down and entered class. I spotted him first, head bent down and lips pursed. I quietly placed my bag on the chair beside his and sat down. Feeling a presence, he looked up met my eyes. 

"Aleisha," he let out, he voice coming out hoarse and surprised.

"Hey." I greeted meekly. 

"How've you been?" He questioned, putting the cap on his own pen and placing it gently in the crevice of his open textbook.

"Fine. You?" 

"Good. Is everything okay?"

I nod firmly, "Of course" I managed to smile too, to make it a little more convincing. My eyes roam his face and take note of the slight bags under his eyes. Squirming under my gaze, his eyes drops to his shoes for a second before pushing his hair back and nodding.

He's about to speak when the class suddenly quiets down and we notice the teacher enter. He sighs frustratedly but turns to face the board nevertheless. I mimic his action and busy myself in taking out my stationary and books. 

The class progresses at snail's pace and I try my hardest to concentrate. After all, I had to transform that C- to an A- at most and it wouldn't happen magically. By the time the bell signalled the end of the period, my page was scattered with whatever notes I had managed to take down. Humming satisfactorily, I started gathering my things and packing my bag. 

A hesitant cough followed by a tap on my shoulder caused me to turn around and look at the brown haired boy. I raised my eyebrows, waiting for him to speak.

Coughing slightly, he spoke " I wanted to know what colour your dress was going to be for the dance because I have to get a matching tie," He fiddled with his fingers before speaking hastily, "if you still want to go with me, that is. If you don't, it's okay."

A soft chuckle escaped my lips, the first one today, at his flustered state. "Of course I still want to go, " I said with a soft smile. "And about the dress, I haven't really bought it yet so maybe we could go shopping together?" I suggested and it was my turn to be shy.

Noah looked relieved and nodded before saying that he was good with the plan. Standing up along with me, we both walked out the class together. As I reached my car, I turned around to find him still there, behind me. "Pick me up at 6?"I asked.

"Sure. Drive safe. " He responded before chucking me a wave and walking to his car.

I wiped the stupid smile off my face and ignored the fact that my day have gotten a little better because of a certain someone.

~~~

It's been an extremely long time since I updated but I wrote this chapter in one sitting because of a sudden push of motivation.

Enjoy and don't forget to vote and comment :)