Chapter 17|Unshed Tears And Unspoken Words

🔱 ALEISHA'S POV 🔱

I wake up in a puddle of sweat, my palms are clammy and my neck is searing hot. I wipe the back of my hand across my forehead and grimace as I touch a layer of sweat. I look around my bedroom and I squint at the moonlight that is falling into my room through the pushed back curtains. I turn and read the time on my alarm clock; 3:07.

"Aleisha? What's wrong?" A voice asks me. I look around my room and notice the figure slumped on my couch. I am about scream when it speaks again. "It's me, Noah." That's when the memories of yesterday come crashing into my mind. "I think I might be sick." I answer his previous question. He mutters a 'shit' under his breath before he comes and takes a seat on the side of my bed. He places a hand against my burning forehand and nods in agreement. "It must be after carrying my soaked body all the way up here. I'm so sorry." He says, running a hand through his unkempt hair. "Don't sweat it. I'll just go and get a few pills." I rise up from the bed and take a shaky step. My pajama shorts stick to me and I so badly want to rip them off my body. "Don't! I'll get them." He offers, holding my shoulders steady. "You can't. My parents are sleeping and if the hear even the slightest of sound, they'll wake up. And then finding a teenage boy rummaging through the kitchen cabinets won't be a welcome sight." I refuse, pointedly. "I'll get it quicky, I swear. I won't make sound." He insists, his eyes burning into mine. I slump back down onto the bed, pressing a palm against my throbbing head. "Fine! Go! It's in the fourth cabinet from the left. It'll be somewhere at the back of the cabinet. Don't you dare make a noise." I give in, glaring at him. He visibly gulps but nods. "Got it!" I flop back onto my bed, smiling at his retreating figure.

A few painful minutes later, I hear the familiar sound of footsteps. I switch on my bedside lamp and squint at Noah, who has painkillers in one hand and a glass of water in the other. I extend my hand and grab both the essentials when he's standing in front of me. He watches me as I pop the pills and wash it down with two gulps of water. I groan when I feel the familiar scratchiness in my throat. "Lie down." Noah orders. I hesitantly lay down and position myself until I feel the fluffy pillow beneath my head. He moves closer to me until our legs our touching and then places both his palms on my head. He starts massaging it and I close my eyes as I focus on the rhythmic moving of his fingers. He applies pressure to my temples, earning a loud moan from me. I shut my eyes tightly in embarrassment and hear him chuckle. He starts humming Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol and I appreciate the smoothness of his voice. I soon fall asleep to the soft humming and the magical work of his fingers.

***

I wake up expecting to find Noah asleep next to me but am met with an empty bed, an empty couch and an open window. I wince as I try to get up. My whole body aches and I fall back onto the bed. A few seconds later my mum walks in. Her eyes soften when she sees me in my pathetic state.

"Oh honey, are you sick?"

I nod weakly. My sore throat restricts my ability to speak.

"Do I call a doctor? Take an off from work?" She asks, taking a seat at the corner of my bed. She places her palm on my forehead and throat and grimaces when she feels how warm my body is.

I shake my head. I swallow hastily and speak, "That won't be needed mom. I'll be fine. It's just a slight fever."

She gets up from the bed and nods. "Call me if you need anything, okay? You shouldn't have stepped out in the rain yesterday." She gives me a peck on my forehead and leaves the room.

I sigh once she's gone and pick up my phone. I quickly message Dae informing her that I won't be able to make it to school today. She responds with a call. After making short conversation with her, I shakily rise from my bed. There's a disgusting sweat stain on my bedsheets. I remind myself to change the bedding later. I strip off my clothes and climb into the shower, my weak body aches with every step. My body relaxes under the scalding hot water. I massage the tense muscles at my neck. Immediately I recall the touch of the fingers that massaged my head last night and a blush creeps up my cheeks. I shake my head at the memory. It was a one time thing. He probably only did it because he felt guilty that he was the cause of my suffering. I smack myself for frowning at the idea of it only being a one time thing. This fever sure is messing with my head.

***

Half an hour later, I'm seated on my couch while flipping through movies on Netflix. Next to me are my loyal friends; Kleenex tissues, a flask of hot water and a body pillow of Luke Hemmings. I decide to watch A Walk To Remember. Halfway through the movie, when my hoodie is soaked in tears and my eyes sting from all sobbing, the doorbell chimes. I lazily groan and swing my legs off the couch. I open the door and see Noah standing there with a huge teddy bear in his hands. He shyly thrusts it forward and looks down at the ground. I squeal and lunge at the stuffed toy. I usher Noah in and close the door before the cold winter breeze enters my house.

"Are you feeling better?" He asks, eyeing the mess of tissues on the wooden floors.

I nod, combing through the hair of the teddy bear whom I've decided to name Louis. "A little," I admit.

He looks at the television screen and smirks. "Really? A Walk To Remember?"

I gape at him. "Why? What's wrong with it?"

"Everything." He replies and then mimics my gaping expression.

I dramatically gasp and place a hand on my chest. "Well I don't care what you think. You can either sit here and watch the movie with me or leave. Thanks for the teddy bear." I say, childishly turning back to the screen in attempt to ignore him.

He makes no move to get up from his seat on the armchair so I resume the movie. Everytime I feel my eyes brim with tears, I bury my face deeper into the coach and muffle my sobs into the thick material of my hoodie. I keep doing that until I hear a sniffle from beside me. My head snaps towards where Noah is seated and notice that he has his face in his hands. Unaware that I'm watching, he drops his hand from his face and I notice his red eyes.

"Noah? Are you crying?" I gently ask him, my voice soft.

"Me? Crying? No. I just got something in my eye." He says, giving out a weak laugh.

"Then what do you call those things that are running down your face?"

Noah hastily wipes away the tears and remains silent. I wait patiently, still staring at him confused.

"Can you please resume the movie?" He asks, his voice cracking.

On any other occasion, I would've have used this as an opportunity to tease him but the tone of his voice renders me speechless. I resume the movie and we watch it till the end. I sneak glances at Noah from time to time and find him looking at the screen with fragile, glassy eyes that hold so many unshed tears and unspoken words. I knew it was best to keep quiet but I had a feeling this had something to do with the girl he almost told me about.

~~~

Hey guys! Another chapter is here. This chapter took me about 2-3 days to write because I was having major self esteem issues. Half of this chapter was written in a beauty parlor.

Hop you guys like it. If you do, don't forget to vote and comment.

Bye!