Chapter 17

Felix had cracked the joke about his chair, and Mark had buried his face into a pillow and shouted. You had a bite of pizza in your mouth, and almost choked on it from laughing. You started to cough. Mark un-buried
his face, and asked if you were okay.

"I'm good.." You gradually stopped coughing. You felt your phone vibrating in your back pocket. You took it out to see who was calling you. It was mom.

"Sorry guys, I'll be right back. I gotta take this call." You said, slowly standing up.

"You need help walking?" Ethan asked.

"I think I can manage. Thanks though." You put your hands on the wall to steady yourself, and carefully walked into the kitchen. You heard the others continue in conversation.

You leaned up against the wall in the kitchen, and looked at your phone. You missed the call. You quickly went to contacts and called her back.

"Hello?" You heard from the other side of the phone.

This was the first time you had called her in a few weeks, and you missed the sound of her voice.

"Mom?" You respond.

"(Y/N), I've been worried sick!" You heard her say. "Are you okay? How is your head? Are you taking medicine?"

"Mom.. Its okay. I'm okay." You reassured her.

"Sorry honey.. I was just worried. Is Mark taking good care of you?"

"Yes. Not just Mark, but everyone here. They're all so nice."

"So you made friends? That's a first."

Ooh. Roasted by your own mother.

"Mom!" You say.

"I'm joking!" She laughs. "How is it there? I miss you around here.. Its so lonely without you."

A sudden lump formed in your throat. You then realized how much you really missed her. Tears began to form at the corner of your eyes, but you quickly blinked them back.

"Its great.. I miss you too." You said.

"Well, i'm glad you are having a good time." She said.

You heard a noise that sounded like a knock in the background.

"Sorry sweetie, I have to go. I'm going out with some friends tonight. I'll talk to you later. Stay safe. I love you!" She says.

"I love you too." You said, then you hung up. Your emotions were toying with you. You really loved it here, but you also missed Mom. Were you sad? Or happy? You couldn't figure it out.

You stared at nothing for a little while..  then you shook yourself out of it and slowly walked back into the living room.

"She's back!" You heard Mark say when you came into the room. "And walking is improving!"

You gave him a weak smile.
"I think i'm gonna get in bed now," You said.

Ethan noticed something was off. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah I'm fine.. just.. tired." You lied.

"Okay.." Ethan answered, not convinced.

"Goodnight guys," You say as you walk out of the room.

"Goodnight!" They all respond, except for Ethan, who looks concerned.

He thinks for a bit. "I'll be right back." He tells the others. Ethan excuses himself and walks out of the room towards your bedroom.

You were laying on your bed, staring at the ceiling. You tried to gather your thoughts, but there were just so many of them. You closed your eyes and took deep breaths to try to calm yourself. In, Out. In, Out. You repeated in your head, with every breath.

"Hey, (Y/n)?"
You jumped at the sound of Ethan's voice coming from the door. You sit up to see that the door was cracked open, just enough to where you could see Ethan.

"Ethan, you scared me." You say.

"Oh.. I'm sorry." He apologizes.

"Its okay." You tell him. "Did you need something?"

"No.. Actually.. I came in here to see if you were okay" He states.

"I'm fine." You say, trying to look like you were telling the truth.

"Are you sure?" He asks. Ethan walks up to your bed and sits down beside you. "You know, you can talk to me."

You feel like you can talk to Ethan, but, would he understand?

"Its just- I just.." You try to take deep breaths, but that fails, and your breaths become shaky.

"I like it here but- Mom- and I can't-" You can't even speak sentences properly.

You break. Tears fall down your face, and you turn away, trying to hide your face. You wipe your face with your sleeve. Ethan puts a hand on your shoulder and pulls you into a hug.

"Its okay. I know." He says softly. Ethan understood what you were trying to say.

It felt good to be hugged by someone. To cry. To let it out. It felt good to have a friend to confide in.

Silent sobs racked your body, making you shake slightly. You pull away gently from the hug and wipe your eyes.

"I'm sorry." You say. "I shouldn't be crying over this."

Ethan shakes his head. "No, its okay. I know how it feels to miss someone."

You two sit there for a moment

"Thank you Ethan." You say.

"Of course. If you ever need me, i'll be there."

You smile. "I think i'm going to get to sleep now, all these emotions make me tired.

"Okay," Ethan says as he stands up. "Goodnight! Have sweet dreams!" With that He walked out of the room and gently shut the door.

You snuggle up in bed, and close your eyes. You recall the previous moments; The hug, how you cried, How much You really loved Ethan.
Not romantically. Almost.. like family.
The best kind of love.

A/N Aww <3 So sweet. You've grown so close to Ethan, you have practically become family! If anyone was expecting an Ethan x Reader, sorry to crush your hopes and dreams. Maybe that will come later.. Haven't decided yet.

Thx for reading!
(You are probably tired of me thanking you)