Held up in a Coffee Shop

Warning: potential physical and sexual violence. Also possibly death, depending on how I'm feeling. I guess that's a spoiler? Oh well. Consider it a preview.

"Shouldn't we be calling him back by now?" Nick voiced his frustrations.

"No, not yet." Liv replied vacantly, she was focused on other things. "Give her time to have a go."

-

"John?" Amanda said quietly. She'd been sat with her knees to her chest in the corner for about 20 minutes now and could feel her legs becoming numb.

"Yes buttercup?" He quickly moved towards her, bending down near her and stroking her face with the back of his fingers.

"I need you to pick me up and put me on a chair, my legs hurt and I don't think I can get up." She stated. She wasn't lying, she did need to sit in a chair before she lost the feeling in her legs all together.

"Yes, whatever you need." He said submissively. He allowed her to straighten out her legs before he picked her up in his arms and placed her on one of the few chairs still standing up. "Is that better?" He asked, seeming genuinely worried about her well being.

"Yes John, thank you." She put her hand up to his face, and brought it closer to hers. She planted a small kiss on his cheek before taking her hand away.

Internally, she was sickened by what she had just done, but she knew it was necessary if she had any hope of getting any of those kids out alive.

John's face meanwhile, had lit up like a torch. Did she finally love him? Was she finally ready to be with him forever?

"Buttercup, I love you." He tried again, testing to see how she reacted.

This time, she didn't flinch or hesitate. "I love you too."

For him, that was all he needed. He knew that she loved him, and they needed no one else.

"John, I was wondering... You know those kids? I don't want them to be here for this. I just want it to be us." She went straight in for the confrontation, she thought that the kiss and declaration of love had earned John's trust.

"Yes buttercup, whatever you say." He replied. He quickly got up and turned to his men. "Bring the kids through, they can go."

The men did as they were told, and soon Amanda was faced with the scared, tear-stained faces of five little children.

John looked towards Amanda for help, he blatantly hadn't had to deal with a child once in his adult life.

"Hey kids, uh... Look at me for a second?" She felt somewhat like a teacher, a side from the fact she wasn't able to stand.

"Listen, you're all gonna get to see your family in a minute, but you've got to do something for me first," she watched as they all looked towards her intently, "when one of those guys over there opens the door, you've got to promise that you aren't going to run, you've got to walk real slow with your hands up like this."

She raised her arms and put her hands on her head, it caused her to wince a little in the process. She wanted them to do exactly as she was telling them, so everyone outside knew they were hostages. Although uncommon, she had heard of a case before where a kid was shot being mistaken for a suspect.

"Can you all do that?" She said calmly, trying desperately not to scare them. They all nodded and did as she had, raising their arms and placing their hands on their heads. She nodded to John, and he got one of his men to stand by the door. On John's command, he opened the door and slowly the children left single file. Once they had left, the door was shut behind them, and John turned back to face Amanda, a large grin on his face.