Prologue

Love was too complicated of a term for Sam to understand at such a young age. All he knew was school and play. He loved to play especially with Rick. But Rick was much older than him and he didn't really give him much heed. That didn't matter though. Being around Rick made Sam happy. He loved looking at Rick, hearing his voice, smelling his Alpha scent. Yeah, Rick was an Alpha. None of his friends were Alpha, not that they could know at this age but Sam knew Rick was an Alpha. People were scared of him especially the boys in Sam's class. When Sam told them Rick was his friend they kept away from him.

Sam tiptoed in his house after he came back from the beach. Every weekend Yoda Pack's family partied at the beach and Sam loved sneaking into that party. He wasn't the only nine-year-old at the party. People of all ages came to the party from the Yoda pack. Rick's younger cousins who were in Sam's standard came as well. But Sam's mom never let him go. She didn't let him go anywhere. She said he was a shame of her family because he was weak. She was sure that he would not become an Alpha. But why did she want him to be an Alpha? There were so many betas in the pack who were well respected. So what if he became a beta? He couldn't change who he was, he wished his mom would accept him the way he was.

Sam thought he could sneak inside his house without his mom knowing. He was wrong. His mom was waiting in the shadows of the living room.

"You went to the Yoda Packhouse again, didn't you?" Sam's mom's shrill voice startled him in the dark. He shuddered at the thought of being beaten again. Sometimes he wished he wasn't a nine year old boy, so he could fight back. He couldn't wait to grow up and leave this awful place, away from his mother's abuse.

"I just wanted to meet my friends. You don't let me talk to them at all," Sam said. He knew his mom wouldn't understand. The glare she gave him was evidence enough. He was in big trouble, maybe bigger than the last time. The burn wounds on his back hadn't healed yet, he wasn't sure if he would be able to take anymore of her cruel punishments.

At least, his mom didn't know the real reason for his spending time at the Packhouse. If she knew he went to see Rick, she would kill him. Rick had given an open house invitation to anyone who wanted to join their bonfire. Sam couldn't miss such a chance, it wasn't often that he got to spend time with the coolest people on the earth. Yoda family was the family of Alphas. They protected and controlled the Yoda pack, one of the few werewolf packs of the east. Rick was Sam's idol. Sam wanted to be like him when he grew up, tall, muscular, brave yet gentle. His face heated up the memory of him. It was another thing that Rick didn't bother to give him even a glance, all his space was occupied by his best friend David. Sam had never seen the two of them away from each other ever. Sam was only a little boy, he tried his best to gain Rick's attention but it was futile. Rick had better things to do than to listen to a lanky none year old. Sam wasn't disappointed, he loved being around him even if he didn't give him any attention.

"You were drooling over that Rick kid, isn't it? You pathetic homo." his mom spat at his shoes. "You disgust me!" he took hold of his hair and swung his hair left to right.

"Mom, it hurts," he cried out.

"You are becoming the thing I hate the most," she screamed. "I wish you died in my womb."

Sam tried not to feel hurt, he tried really hard. It wasn't the first time her mom or anyone has insulted him for something he couldn't control. He didn't know what a homo was, it couldn't have been anything good. Sam knew he was different. He liked painting his nails, wearing a tiara, and slathering lip gloss on his lips. He didn't know what was so wrong with it. Why do people hate him for being himself? As confusing as it was, he had no wish to change himself.

Sam sighed in relief after his mom slapped him a few times and went to bed without punishing him further.

His thoughts drifted to the bonfire.

"Your admirer is cute," David, Rick's best friend, said, looking down at Sam. Rick made an annoyed face. "I should have mentioned kids not invited. It's not safe, they are serving alcohol."

"It's okay, I won't drink alcohol. I have an awesome collection of slam cards, you want to see." Sam said trying to be cool but Rick and David were moving away already, busy in talking in themselves.

Sam stayed by his side even though he moved away. Sam wished he was older so Rick would talk to him too like he talked to David.

Sam went to his bed, threw his blanket over his head and dreamt of Rick's blue eyes.