Chapter-9

Sam

Sam woke up on a different bed. He sat up, looking around frantically. Living alone from the age of 15 had taught him to be cautious of his surrounding and waking up in a strange place was one of his worst fears. He jogged his memory to remember how he ended when he recalled the events of the day, a voice interrupted him before he could piece everything together.

"How are you feeling?"

Sam looking at Rick who was leaning by the door, hands folded in front of him, his muscles taut under the shirt he wearing.

"Good," His mouth felt swollen and that's when everything cam flooding back. The training and the memory of Carl's heavy fist made him very aware of the pain in his mouth. A deep throb started on his teeth. He looked down and saw himself shirtless only wearing the gym pants.

"You undressed me?" It wasn't supposed to come out like a acquisition but it did.

"I had to. The t-shirt was soaked with blood."

"Oh." Sam gulped down nervously having nothing else to say. Rick must be disappointed, it was his t-shirt after all.

"I will ask someone to bring you something to eat. The doctor said you can't eat solid food for the next one week, so maybe some soup."

"It's okay, you don't have to. I should go home anyway."

"Stay," Rick said sternly as he sat beside Sam. "You are in no position to leave right now."

"I feel fine." Sam insisted.

"I am sure you do, but you are going to stay." Rick's eyes bore down on Sam, stopping any argument. Sam bit his lip nervously and nodded.

"How are you feeling?" Jordan walked into the room few seconds later, holding a serious expression.

"I am good." Sam answered.

"I have made sure no one tries to hurt you again." Alpha said. Jordan was much more accepting than his father and Sam was glad for it. 

"You tell me if anyone heckles you again, okay?" Jordan demanded.

"Okay." Sam agreed.

"And take as long as you need to recover." Jordan patted him on his back before walking out. Sam looked up at Rick who had not moved his gaze from Sam for the last five minutes. Sam felt pin pricks all over his body. As if he could finally feel Rick's gaze.

Sam didn't want to fall into the trap again, his crush for Rick had given him heart aches all his childhood. He didn't want to go through it all over again. Sam was pretty sure Rick had no interest in him, moreover he was straight and Sam was gay as fuck. He had seen Rick date all the pretty girls in his school and if the rumors were true Rick had also slept with all the pretty from the Pack as well. A tiny eighteen year old had no change over those sexy and older females. The stare Rick was giving him must have had more to do with curiosity than interest.

"Can I get something to wear?" Sam asked, feeling conscious of his bare body.

"Yeah." Rick walked to his closet and pulled out one of his t-shirts.

"I don't want to ruin another one of your clothes." Sam muttered.

"Don't worry. I don't mind." Rick handed him the t-shirt and left the room.

Being a werewolf had its perk. Sam was healing quick so he decided to join the training. Rick looked surprised to see Sam in the training area so soon but he didn't question him. Carl was nowhere to be seen. Sam wondered if he had been removed but then he saw him bringing water for everyone.

Rick must have given him punishment. 

Today they were learning self-control by meditation and balance. They closed their eyes and stood on one leg concentrating on the wolf and calming it down enough to listen to their human side. Sam's wolf was not having it, he kept trying to push Sam away. Sam almost gave up when Sam felt a warm presence beside him. Rick's body radiated a energy that seared into Sam's bones, he didn't have to open his eyes to know Rick was standing close.

"I can see your eyes move behind your eyelids. You are not relaxing, Sam," Rick whispered in his ears in his throaty voice. Sam took a deep breath trying to get his thumping heart in control. There was no way he could relax with Rick standing so close to him. Rick placed a hand on Sam's shoulder, squeezing him with either reassurance or warning, Sam couldn't tell. All he could feel was Rick's strength, his smell and his warmth. Sam's blood rushed south, his head felt heavy with all that Adrenalin.

"See me after class," Rick whispered again before leaving his side. Sam finally took a deep sigh of relief only to register what Rick had said. Rick wanted to see him in his office. 

He must have been in trouble. He had to be the worst performing trainee in his class.

The training ended a few minutes later. Sam stood shifting from one leg to another. Rick didn't look mad. He looked...well like he always looked, godly handsome. Everyone packed their stuff and started leaving. Rick placed the equipment where they belonged, switched off the lights, doing everything without giving any heed to Sam's presence and finally left the training area.

Sam wanted to ask what was the matter, why he wanted him in his office but he couldn't, he didn't have the courage to. When Rick left from the exit without giving any instruction to Sam, all that was left for him was to follow Rick.

Sam stood before Rick's close door, hands behind his back and dreading to knock. He counted up to twenty before finally knocking slowly.

"Come in." Rick said from inside. Sam's hands were sweating as he entered the room, his heart hammering and his pulse racing like a mad animal.

"Hi." Sam said in his tiny voice.

Rick looked up from his computer, a hard look on his face.

"Have a seat." Rick said pointing to the chair in front of him. Sam took it tentatively, this felt too much like school and Sam hated school.

"I was observing you today." Rick stood up and folded his hands in front of him. From Sam's sitting position Rick looked bigger than he already was.

"Are you still scared that someone will hurt you?" Rick asked standing by the window, leaning towards it.

Sam took a deep breath and formed an answer, it was difficult, given he was majorly distracted by Rick's shirt sleeves that tighten around his biceps.

"Umm..no. Why?"

"You looked tense. And you were having a hard time concentrating."

It's because I am terrified that you will find out how I feel about you. Sam wanted to say it loud but he couldn't.

"I will do better next day."

"It's not about doing better. I don't want you to worry about anything but your training."

"I understand. I will try not to worry." Sam said looking at his shoes like they were the most interesting things in the world.

"Sam," Rick called. "Look at me." He demanded.

Sam raised his head and met his eyes.

"You can tell me anything, you know that right?" Rick said with compassion.

Sam nodded gulping down the nervousness. He couldn't tell him. Never.

"Can I go now?" Sam said standing up.

Rick was taken aback by his response. He sighed, gritting his teeth. "Okay. But next day I want you to concentrate on your training. I am a patient man but even I have limits."

Sam nodded before almost bolting out of Rick's office. As soon as he was out, he leaned on the wall and took a few calming breaths. What the fuck was happening to him. He needed to get it together.

This wasn't just attraction, this was torture of a special kind. Sam wasn't sure what was happening to him. He should have been able to move on from his childhood attraction but things were worse. He wasn't sure how long he would be able to hide his obvious feelings. But he will try.