Chapter-24

Rick

Rick ruined it all. He finally pushed away Sam. He kept his distance when all he wanted to do was to go to him and engulf him in his arms.  He could feel Sam's wolf calling his. Rick couldn't sleep last night, his head hurt and he felt queasy in the stomach. He had no idea why that could be.

His phone rang by his bedside in the middle of the night. It was Sam calling him. He picked up the phone without thinking much about it. 

"Sam," he breathed out the name in desperation.

"It's David, Rick." the familiar voice traveled through the speaker. 

"Why do you have Sam's phone?" Rick asked, confused. 

David was quite for a second before he finally spoke. "This kid came to my ER a few minutes ago. He is running a high fever and wouldn't let the nurses touch him. He is showing the classic symptoms of going into heat. I checked him phone to see who I could call and your number came up first, the other two were Jordan and Boss.  Calling you seemed like the safest bet."

Shit.

"I am coming." Rick must have never gotten dressed so quick. He took his motorbike to the hospital and reached there in record time. 

"Where is he?" Rick asked barging into David's office. David was on his computer, he looked up slowly, a frown on his forehead. 

"How do you know the kid?" David asked, looking  suspicious.

"I don't have time for your questions, David. Tell me where he is."

"He is in the third room from the left"

Rick rushed out, before David could ask anything else. He pushed inside the room to find Sam laying on the bed, mumbling things in his sleep. 

"Sam," Rick took her hand and kissed it, placing a palm on his forehead. He was burning.

"Rick?" Sam asked. "You are here?"

"Yes, I am baby. I am here" Rick said, placing a kiss on his forehead. "It's going to be fine now."

"They were touching me," Sam sobbed, his eyes closed.

"Who touched you?" Rick growled, wanting to kill the person who touched his mate.

"We had to sedate him. He wouldn't let the nurses treat him." David said from the doorway.

Rick placed his lips on Sam's forehead again. The wolf inside him wanted to be as close to it's mate as possible. "I am going to take you home, okay?" he whispered in his forehead.

"Do it quick. I don't like it here." 

"Yes. yes, I will." 

"So, he is your mate?" David asked, still standing at the same position. Rick gulped down a nervous knot and simply nodded to answer. 

"I knew something was the other day. You are lucky to a find a mate." 

"I know." Rick said.

"How long have you known you are mates?" 

"Over a month." Rick answered without turning back to look at David, Sam's hand still in his.

"And you still haven't...umm...consummated?" 

"No! I was his trainer. I couldn't." Rick snapped suddenly feeling surrounded at David intrusive questions.

"But he is your mate. I have never seen a male werewolf go in heat before. I don't know what could have happen. It looked intense. You shouldn't put it off any longer. "