Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Next night Pete escorted her upstairs after a long day...

"I'll just make a quick checking here, then you can be finally alone," he said as started to look around. "So you don't have to avoid me anymore..."

"What are you talking about?" she asked putting down her bag.

"Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. You've avoided me whole day. You almost butted the table, just to avoid having to look into my eyes and you stood next to Tom wherever we went."

"I can't believe this unlimited conceit," she stepped closer. "Just because I haven't answered to your question."

"What question?"

"Are you kidding with me? Last night in the garden..."

"You've already answered to that question," he remarked and walked by her.

"Really?"

"Yes. Not with words of course, but it was quite clear."

"And what was my answer exactly?" she asked and he finally turned to face with her,

"Well... that I'm not indifferent to you," he answered and there was silence for a few moments.

"...So what?"

"How you mean 'so what'? It changes everything."

"Really? What does it change exactly?" Now, she was looking right into his eyes frustrated. "This is my life," she looked around theatrically. "I live in a house where every step of mine is watched... I cannot go anywhere without guards and a motorcade... I live in a house what is not a home... I live among golden plated furniture what is not my style... I do every day what I have to do and no one cares that I'm too introverted for this 'job'... they tell me what I have to wear, to say, to think... it's a golden cage and there's no way out." She was on the verge of crying now. "... So what does it change exactly?"

"Sarah..."

"It means nothing Pete... nothing at all."

"You don't have to do anything..." he whispered as he stepped closer. "Just let me love you..."

She closed her eyes, sighing, "Pete... I've never believed in fairy tales..."

"But you do believe in love, right?"

"Of course... but it's not for me." the last words were only a whisper as she turned her back to hide her tears.

"Sarah, you can't say that. " he tenderly kissed her shoulder, pulling her to his embrace.

"Please, don't do this to me..." she whispered.

"But it feels so good."

"Feelings aren't the problem. It's reality that gets people in trouble."

"This is reality..." he whispered, kissing her neck lovingly.

"No, it's not." She barely could speak.

"Say, you don't want this between us..."

"I can't say that... but I'm not the one for you, Pete. Believe me."

"No. That's not true and you won't convince me."

"I don't have to, you will realize it by yourself."

"Never..." he whispered in her neck, "Just give us a chance..."

"Wish I could do it..." she turned to face with him. Touching his chest, trying to keep him away from herself, before she would do something she would regret. "Please leave me alone."

"Sarah..."

"Please..." she whispered, but he didn't do as she asked, just leant closer and kissed her...

To be continued...