Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"Is everything okay?" asked Tom as he stepped closer and bent down to her, "What's the matter Ma'am?"

"She's just a bit tired, that's all." tried Pete, before she would say something she would regret.

"Yes, it seems the last two days were a bit too much for me."

"Don't you wanna go home? I think you should..."

"Yes, that's a good idea." she smiled and accepted Tom's hand, so he pulled her up to her feet. Although Pete perfectly knew her feelings for him and they already talked about this, now he had a disquieting feeling as he saw her with Tom...

As they passed by the President who was standing among a few politicians, he just took a glance at her - seeing her teary eyes - then turned back to his guests as nothing would have happened.

Sitting on the back seat of the limo was a surreal feeling. She just looked out of the window deep in thought, thinking on her life what could change in any minute, losing the happiness she finally found... that's why she didn't notice as they drove through the main gate of The White House, just the stopping of the limo pulled her back to reality.

"Thank you," she said as Tom helped her out of the limo, just when Pete arrived from the other side of the car to do the same.

"Um, Pete... Could you go upstairs? I would like to have a word with Tom, if it's not a problem."

"No. Of course not." nodded Pete, but he had that uneasy feeling again.

"Look Tom," she sighed when they remained alone and looked up at him, "I just want to say thanks for yesterday. I know I caused a lot of trouble, but it wasn't intentional. Do you... do you angry with me?"

"Of course not. How could I be angry with you?" he smiled and there was silence for a few moments.

"I... I think I know that you have feelings for me." she finally said it.

"That's true."

"Look, you are a good guy and... what's the matter?"

"I already know this phrase, you really do not have to continue." he smiled sadly.

"No, please." she held up her hand softly, "I want you to know this."

"..."

"You men thinks it's a negative thing, but... the truth is I've always loved the good guys." Now she could see a little hope in his eyes. "But I also do not want you to misunderstand me." She sighed and held her forehead, it was harder than she thought. "I just want you to know that under different circumstances I... I think I could fall in love with you."

"Oh..." he didn't know what to say.

"I know it's not much, but I've wanted you to know this." she smiled and kissed his cheek gently. "Thank you for everything," she whispered and he stroked her back instinctively as she moved away. That was the moment when another car stopped next to them.

"I knew your guy is a nobody, but with Tom?! Are you serious?!" cried the President...

To be continued...