Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"You start to scare me," said Pete while he stroked her arm softly.

"No, you don't have to, just... when John found out the truth, I told him I want a divorce."

"Oh," he was happy for a second, then he could see the answer in her eyes. "...but of course he won't hear of it.

"Uh-huh," she murmured then they just sat there lost in thoughts.

"I... I think I have an idea," said Pete finally with a victorious smile.

"What do you wanna do? I don't think you should meet him after what happened today."

"I just want to speak with him."

"No please," she grabbed his arm. "It's too risky."

"I can solve it Sarah. Do you believe me?"

"Of course, just..."

"Or you don't want to marry me?"

"What?" a smile appeared on her face.

"It's a simple thing, you have to decide it... so?"

"Of course I want it, just..." that was the moment when someone was knocking on the door. "Gosh... Come in!"

"Excuse me Ma'am," said her assistant, "I've heard what happened, you okay?"

"Yes, thank you." she smiled, "It's just a scratch, nothing serious. Um... and what about my husband?"

"He is in full force and power again... actually he's just fired Tom."

"What?" she stood up in disbelief.

"And he wanna talk to you now," she looked at Pete.

"So I'm the next in line it seems. Right, I'm coming."

"No please," Sarah tried to stop him. "He is too furious now, you should talk to him tomorrow."

"It will be okay, don't worry... Ma'am," he added the last bit about her assistant, then headed to the lion's cage.

OOOOOOOOOOO

After Pete left her suite, Sarah went to the security room, found Tom alone...

"Come in," answered Tom.

"It's just me," she said, stepping inside.

"Oh... how are you? A bit better now?" she could feel the worry in his voice.

"Yes absolutely, thank you." her smile was as sweet as he remembered. "And you? That was a pretty serious fight as it seemed."

"Oh that was nothing really," he tried to seem as masculine as he could. "Just a little conflict."

"I... I've just heard that my husband fired you, but don't worry I can take you back."

"No thanks," he shook his head. "That's really not necessary. I've been thinking on making some change anyway."

"Oh, I see." she looked down. "... well, I think I'll miss you."

"That's good to know," he smiled, leaving his eyes on her for a moment.

"Of course," she teased him. "Who will protect me in the future if you leave?"

"I'm sure Pete will take good care of you as always. He is a fine man," he said, looking at her that way.

"...You knew it?"

"I only suspected it, but when I saw him hitting the President with such vehemence, I was sure."

"Oh... I don't know what to say." she sighed, looking a bit guilty.

"You really don't have to say anything. I'm glad you're happy."

"You know," she said with teary eyes. "You are a really special guy Tom... and I'm lucky to have met you." she stepped closer and cupped his cheek with one hand as a goodbye. "Thank you for fighting for me..." she smiled and he just kissed her palm, "For you... anytime."

OOOOOOOOOOO

Meanwhile in the President's office...

"So do you wanna say something before..." asked John and laid back on his chair.

"Before you fire me?" finished Pete with a smile. "As a matter of fact yes."

"..."

"You know, you've made a huge mistake with firing Tom."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, and do you know why?"

"Because he is such a good guy?" he remarked mockingly.

"Not exactly, just because... Sarah is with me."

To be continued...