Epilogue - Alecander Fornix

Epilogue

Alecander Fornix

My job is to protect her, look out for her, and guard her. I wouldn’t say I failed, but I know I did not meet the expectations of those above me. To me, that’s still failing. For some reason, this doesn’t bother me much. It should, I realize that now that I’ve lost her, but you know she isn’t mine to have. I should have figured that out earlier but you know what they say about not knowing what you have until you lose it? Yeah, that’s what I feel now, except I’m sure it’s worse because of our Angelic feelings: we feel more than humans.

There are so many things I wish I had done differently. I should have told her more, answered all of her questions and never yelled at her. Malachi thinks she still would have left. He says there is nothing I could have done to change the outcome of how things turned out. Still, I can’t help but feel that this all connects to me somehow. Maybe I’m being egotistical or maybe I’m right. Malachi keeps telling me that we need to give her time alone, I don’t agree with him. She’s sixteen -- she shouldn’t be out there alone and by herself.

“Alecander.” My name sounds so foreign to me. I guess I got used to hearing “Alec.”          Looking up I see Malachi’s grim, yet hardened face. I set the pencil down and turn the chair towards him.

“Yes?” I ask half heartily. Ever since Phin took off I’ve been distracted. Four days and no one has tried to get her. Stephanie, Mrs. De’ Angelo, is surprisingly o-kay with the text Phin sent her. When I talked to her about going to get Phin back, she sat me down and spent three hours explaining how her and Pyralis, a Seraphim Angel Descendant, had met and how Phin needed to find herself. Am I the only sane person left? No pun intended against Phin who somehow thinks she will go insane.

“I need to tell you something.” Oh great another lecture on how I need to move on: away from Phin. Deep down I think Malachi is glad Phin left. I don’t care that she left as long as I’m able to go find her (which I know I can find her) and bring her back. She needs to come home. “I should have told you when Seraphine first left.” He trailed off, lost in his own thoughts. Guess I’m not the only one who is distracted.

“Probably, but that never seems to stop you from telling the truth.” He gave me a warning look. I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest. I am tired of going to school and pretending that Phin went to her “Aunts” house for a couple weeks. It is ridiculous how some humans digest lies as truths and move on with their lives. Foolish.

“Seraphine’s father is an Angel.” The news hit me hard, but a wave of relief washed over me as if I is being baptized this second. Phin is a Direct Descendant? That must be why she thinks she will eventually go crazy! She feels like she has an impending doom hovering over her like a storm cloud. No wonder she left. Who wouldn’t leave with that grave news? I only know two other Direct Descendants and one is dead and the other is in a mental institution permanently. Not very good odds for Direct Descendants.

“She found out and left. Malachi, we need to find her and help her.” I am standing up now. This is an urgent matter and I didn’t care how long it took I would find her. I will always find her. Malachi sighed and seemed irritated.

“Why are you such simple minded? Have I taught you nothing?” I noticed he answered a question with a question. This is not the reaction he had hoped for. I don’t care. I used to worship the ground Malachi walked on until I realized he’s just as much of a human as all of us. He likes to think that he’s doomed to a life of killing and that means he has to work twenty-four hours a day, but that’s not how D.A’s should live. We don’t owe anyone anything. Plus, living isn’t worth as much if Phin isn’t in my life. I know that a D.A has no place with a D.S but Phin is so different than anyone I have ever met and how she makes me feel is indescribable. Of course, I could never say these things out loud; I wouldn’t look very tough of Archangel-like. We’re supposed to be warriors and fighters, not love-struck teenagers that whine about their girlfriends being out of town, or at least this is what Malachi tells me.