arania exumai

Arania exumai (ah-RAHN-ee-a EKS-su-may); This spell is used to blast away Acromantulas and, presumably, all other arachnids.

How long had he wake up? Was Cassiopeia's first thought. She began to wonder whether the man heard her conversation with Newt.

When the man groaned in pain, Cassiopeia forgot about all of her suspicion and rushed to his side, checking his bandage.

Making sure that all the bandages are in perfect condition, she wipes another beads of sweat on his forehead.

"Where am I?" The man asked with raspy voice, and Cassiopeia gave him a glass of water to drink before opening her mouth. "My tent, apparently." She replied, and the man, taking in her khaki pants and brown shirt, opened his mouth. "Who are you?"

"Isn't that supposed to be my line?" Cassiopeia retorted, and she thought she saw a faint smile on his face.

"James Buchanan Barnes, at your service."

Cassiopeia raised her brow. "Well, James Buchanan Barnes at your service, my name is..." She stopped suddenly, remembering that she is not allowed to say her name to muggle armies, in fear that someone will remember her death and found out that she's not dead yet.

"...not important, but the important thing is you're safe in my hands."

James raised his brows as he opened his mouth. "I heard him, you know. I heard him calling you Cassie."

Cassiopeia's heart sinks. "Oh yeah?" She retorted, trying to appear calm as she wiped another set of sweat beads from James's forehead. "What else did you hear?"

"That he's going to America tomorrow and you made a really good burn paste."

Cassiopeia felt relief washes over her and she smiled. "Yes. I do made the best burn paste."

"And your name is Cassie."

Cassiopeia nods dismissively. "Let's just say it is, yes."

After a moment of silence, Cassiopeia opened her mouth again. "You know, James Barnes, why are you covered in blood?"

"You know, Cassie-if-that-is-your-real-name, why should I tell you?"

"Because I saved your life?" Cassiopeia offered, and James scoffed. "Fair enough. Okay, then. As you can see, I am a member of  the US Army." He began before coughing.

Cassiopeia waited for his coughing fit to end before offering him another glass of water. He thanked her before opening his mouth again. "I am a member of infantry 107, and long story short, our enemy, HYDRA, caught and torture us."

"It was the darkest days of my life, Cassie. Constantly hanging between life and death, constantly wonder whether I'll die soon." James's eyes fluttered shut, and his fingers trembled.

Cassiopeia, worried that he might have spasms next, held his hands tightly. James's eyes fluttered open and he smiled gratefully.

"You can stop if you want, James. I think I get the idea."

James shakes his head. "I think it's better if I continue. That is, if you don't mind me continuing?"

Cassiopeia smiled and told him that it is no problem, and James continue his monologue.

"One day... Is it today? Yesterday? I don't know, the concept of time is lost on me." James ponders before continuing, "A plane came to rescue us, the whole infantry. My friends all got out, but I was being interrogated by them when the plane came. HYDRA set a fire to burn the place down to erase all trace of experiments, and they bring me with them."

He took a deep breath. "It was like a miracle; I managed to escape. The last thing I remembered is running, and then I opened my eyes, and there you are. My savior."

Cassiopeia smiled softly as James finished his story. "Savior is a bit much. I only tend your wounds."

"You still saved me." James replied, eyes bore into Cassiopeia's. "I could be dead if it weren't for you."

"No, you wouldn't." Cassiopeia retorted, feeling James's temperature with her left hand. "You would find a more skilled he--doctor--and live."

"That's a big if." James replied, and Cassiopeia chuckled. "This might sound harsh, but I'll let you stay here until tomorrow. After that, you have to leave."

James didn't argue and simply let Cassiopeia get back to work.

***
Hey! Just want to say thank you for adding this to your library and reading lists (((: you wouldn't believe how much this means to me!!

xoxo, alohomora