AJ

"Mom, I want you to meet my boyfriend" I projected, sitting down at the kitchen table. My mother was surprised that I had managed to get a boyfriend, which I couldn't tell if it was a compliment or an insult.

"When?" She asked, not bothering to look up from her home magazine.

I was a little shocked. I thought she would have more of a reaction than that.

"Tomorrow night. I want us to go out to dinner- me, you, Taehyung and dad-"

"Taehyung? I thought you didn't want to mess around with him. Remember when he put that gum in your hair and I had to cut it out with scissors?" She interrupted.

"Yeah, but he's warmed up to me. He's changed since then-"

"People never change, Minseo"

"I'm pretty sure he's changed a little since fourth grade, mom" I sighed, "it'll be fun. Just come to dinner, I want you to meet him properly"

"Meet who properly?" My father asked, waltzing into the room with two empty mugs of coffee in his hands.

"Taehyung, tomorrow we're going to-"

"Wasn't he the one who pulled your skirt down in the sixth grade?" He asked, "and pushed you into that closet and locked you in?"

"Well.. maybe he did do that but he's a really-"

"I don't want you messing around with him, Minseo" he enforced.

"But dad-"

"No, Minseo. He's a bad influence"

"He's my boyfriend"

My father remained silent, removing his glasses. At this point, I knew I was in trouble.

"Minseo, I'm doing my best to look out for you. I'm giving you boundaries so that you stay safe. Taehyung isn't safe for you," he instructed. I couldn't help feel that he was nervous for my wellbeing since all Taehyung used to do was poke fun at me and make me look like a fool.

"But he's changed! Give him a chance, please? After dinner tomorrow, if you still don't like him, I'll let him go"

Saying those words hurt my heart a little, because he means so much to me. But if my own father doesn't approve of the boy I love, he can't be the one for me. Right?

"Then we'll say no more of" he smiled, "now. When's dinner ready?"