CHAPTER 19: Released

--NATE--   

    Robin has been in the hospital now for a couple of weeks and I have not yet left her side.

        The doctor said she was going to survive after the immediate surgery he had to perform as soon as we brought her into the hospital.

         I was covered in her blood and was scared shitless when she was taken back for surgery.

        I have done nothing but hold her hand and sleep beside her.

        She had woken up a little here and there but was always too drugged to stay awake.

        It turns out that luckily the bullet missed a 1/4 inch, one of her major organs and was healing really good.

        There's been so much that has happened and even though I am glad she is okay, I still feel terrible and like it's all my fault.

         I think about how much danger I have put her in and I feel bad but....my thoughts suddenly get interrupted from the feeling of her hand gently squeezing mine.

         I look up at her and see her slowly waking up.

        "Baby?" I say.

        She blinks a few times as she opens up her eyes slowly and then looks over at me.

        "Hey you." She weakly smiles.

        "How ya feelin'?" I ask her.

        "Tired." She says.

        "Do you feel any pain?" I ask.

        "No. Not really. I mean, I'm a little sore but not bad. What happened?" She asks.

        "You don't remember anything?" I ask.

        "Just a little bit. I mean, I know Greg took me I remember stabbing David but after that, everything is a blur." She tells me.

        "Well, after you stabbed David, you ran to me and then he shot you. And then Max shot him in the head and you collapsed into my arms after blacking out." I explain.

        "Is Greg dead too?" She asks.

        "Yeah. He is." I tell her as I look down at her hand and softly begin to move my thumb over her hand.

        "Then why do you look upset?" She asks me.

        I start fighting back the tears.

        "Because I didn't protect you. I didn't do my job as a man. As a boyfriend. When you were taken, it made me see more of what lifestyle you would be part of if you were to stay with me." I began.

        "But Baby, I'm a known author and I'm already a target for crazy fans and others but, also the world in general is fucked up and dangerous. I may not like what you do but I do know that I love you and you rescued me. You even were willing to pay that psycho so much money, without tricks or any of that. You were doing that for me. Who does that? I can guarantee not many would." I smile at him.

         "I love you so much Robin and there isn't enough money in the world that can replace you. I would give everything and even give up my life, if it meant you were happy and safe." I tell her.

         "Come here." She says quietly.

        I stand up and lean over to kiss her on the lips.

        "I'm so glad you're okay." I tell her.

        "Take me home." She tells me with a smile and I then call in for a nurse to come and unhook her from all the IV's and after they did that and we got her release papers, I picked her up bridal style and carried her all the way to a cab I had come and pick us up and take us back to the house.

         While on our way home, I texted Max to give him a head's up she was coming back home and that we were on our way.

       Then once we got home, I again, carried her bridal style into the house and after everyone said hi to her and since she was still tired, I took her to the bedroom and drew a bath for her and then we laid down cuddling and looking into each other's eyes, then kissed and fell asleep in each other's arms.

         I don't know what I did to deserve someone as amazing as her. But I know I'm lucky.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)