Chapter Thirty-Three - Lucy's Sticky End

Narcissa's POV:

I tipped the wine bottle right the way up as I emptied the contents into my large wine glass.

Cabernet Merlot. My favorite. I took a swig as I leaned back into the porch swing. I loved my little house. It was lavish enough without being too lavish. Tons better than that wretched Manor.

I hated that place. No matter how many times I scrubbed those halls, I couldn't get the stench of horror, bloodshed and torture from within the walls. It was as if the souls roamed the halls and corridors looking for someone to blame. I shivered at the thought.

Draco and his father always had the attraction to wealth. I was never very bothered by it all. But I played the game to fill my role. As a wife more than a mother. I loved my Draco dearly and I was determined to start showing him so.

I was glad for the muggle-born girl. Hermione. She brought the light out in my boys eyes that I hadn't seen since the first time he left for Hogwarts.

He was a man now and a hard one at that. Draco was very particular, just like his father but he had a kind heart, like his mother. In saying that, he'd slit your throat instantly if you tried to tell him so. I laughed at the thought. That part of him wasn't necessarily nature as much as it was nurture.

Draco was a beautiful boy with a hard upbringing. His father dominated us both and beat us down. Naturally, my son grew up to seek dominance over people. His father was a death eater. Forced upon, by my husband's deranged thirst to serve the Dark Lord and then eventually his cowardice in being unable to turn him down, Draco became a death eater too.

I didn't blame Lucius for that though. I blamed myself. I knew my boy wasn't like that. He didn't hurt those who didn't deserve it.

I failed to protect my son. From his father and from the Dark Lord. And that was my biggest mistake. I downed my wine and called Tink.

"Tink, please could you bring me another bottle of Cab-Merlot?" I hiccupped.

Tink appeared with a deafening crack and I jumped swinging the porch swing abruptly.

I clutched my heart.

"Sorry Miss Cissy. Tink didn't mean to scare you." Tink bowed and I patted the empty space next to me.

Tink handed me the bottle of wine and jumped up.

"Miss Cissy are you okay? That is your second bottle now." Tink observed. "Tink doesn't mean to speak out of turn but she is only expressing concern for her mistress."

"Tink, I'm no longer your mistress, you know that. If you want I can be more of a uh, boss if you like." I told the cherry little elf.

She looked at me with her big violet eyes and smiled. She leaned her head against me and I wrapped an arm around the little elf.

It was weird to embrace the creatures at first but when looked at them and respected them for who they are as souls rather than who they were as beings, you couldn't help but fall in love with them.

"Tink is about to go to bed Miss Cissy. Is there anything I can bring you before I turn in for the night?" She squeaked.

"No Tinkerbell, that's quite okay. Goodnight Tink." I said kissing the little elf's head that was no bigger than a large potato. She smiled up at me and gave me a hug.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Miss Cissy." She said scuttling off.

Huh. So it was Valentine's Day. I had completely forgotten. I poured me a new glass as I saw it.

A black stream of smoke soared through the sky heading directly towards me. I set the glass down and ran out to the boundary line. It was Lucius. I knew it. I shoved my wand up my sleeve and stood waiting for him.