10; A Cougar Is A Mountain Lion

"Maybe it was my blood on the door." Scott suggested, turning around to look at Stiles.

"Could have been animal blood." Stiles twisted his pencil in his fingers, giving him a shrug. "Y'know, maybe you caught a rabbit or something."

"And did what?"

"Ate it." Ryan whispered, sitting on the other side of him.

Scott turned to look at her with wide eyes, his mouth gaping slightly. "Raw?"

"No, you stopped up bake it in a little werewolf oven." Stiles said, his hands making the motion of opening an oven door. "I don't know, you're the one who can't remember anything."

"Mr. Stilinski." The three of them snapped their heads toward the front, Harris standing with his hands on his hips. "If that's your idea of a hushed whisper, you might want to pull the headphones out every once in a while."

Stiles scoffed, the look on Mr. Harris's face growing more annoyed.

"I think you and Mr. McCall would benefit from a little distance, yes?"

"No." Stiles said, his voice coming out more of a whine. Ryan bit down on the inside of her cheek, trying to hold back her laughter.

"Make that the three of you." Harris narrowed his eyes at Ryan, making her mouth drop open. He motioned for the boys to move, Ryan slumping down in her seat. "Let me know of the separation anxiety gets to be too much."

Ryan pulled her hood over her head and leaned forward, crossing her arms to use them as a pillow. She started to dose off for a moment, before some girl started yelling.

"Hey, I think they found something!" The whole class, including Ryan, jumped up and ran over to the window, watching paramedics wheel a gurney out of the woods.

"That's not a rabbit." Scott whispered, glancing at the twins before looking back at the window. The man on the gurney suddenly shot up, letting out a terrified scream.

Ryan stumbled back, almost tripping over a backpack but Stiles grabbed her wrist to steady her. They both looked over to Scott as he backed up, a look of dread on his face.

"This is good, this is good." Stiles nodded, Ryan giving him a 'what the hell, how is this good', look. "He got up, he's not dead. Dead guys can't do that."

"Guys," Scott swallowed, looking up at the window. "I did that."

•••

Ryan gripped the tray in her hands, her eyes scanning the cafeteria. A smile formed on her lips when she saw Isaac, who sent her a small wave. She took a step towards him, only to have her yanked into a seat by none other than her twin brother.

"Something happened last night, and I can't remember what." Scott set his tray down, Ryan sighing and picking up her water bottle that had fallen when she was manhandled by her brother up off of the floor.

"What makes you so sure that Derek has all the answers?" Stiles asked, making Ryan raise her eyebrows.

"Hold on." She leaned forward, looking at Scott like he was crazy. "Derek? Crazy psycho murderer Derek?"

"Yes." Scott shot back, turning his head to look at Stiles. "Because, during the full moon he wasn't changed. He was in total control, while I was running around in the middle of the night attacking some totally innocent guy."

"You don't know that." Stiles picked up his orange, waving it for emphasis.

"I don't not know it." Scott sighed, a defeated look on his face. "I can't go out with Allison, I have to cancel."

"Yes."

"No." Stiles gave his sister a dirty look, who just shrugged and grabbed a French fry from her tray. "You're not cancelling, okay? You can't just cancel your entire life. We'll figure it out."

"Figure what out?" Lydia slammed her tray onto the table, sitting across from Ryan and next to Scott. Stiles made a small choking sound, his eyes widening at the sight of Lydia.

"Just uh, homework." Scott lied, covering up their previous conversation.

"Why is she sitting with us?" Stiles whispered, looking at Scott with a look that resembled a mixture of panic and awe.

"I don't know." Ryan said through clenched teeth, a fake smile on her face. People from Lydia's friend group started sitting around them, Danny motioning for her to scoot over. Stiles began to open his mouth to argue with her, but she gave him a cold glare. "Scoot."

Ryan was now seated in front of Scott, which also gave her a perfect view of Allison as she sat down next to him.

"Get up." Jackson stated, standing next to one of his friends.

"How come you never ask Danny to get up?" He complained, Danny rolling his eyes.

"Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot." Danny replied, twisting his apple in his hands. Ryan couldn't help but let out a short laugh, shutting her mouth immediately.

"Who are you?" Jackson frowned at her, making her sit up straighter.

"Ryan?" She said slowly, her eyebrows knitting together. "I literally sit right behind you in chemistry."

"Who the hell names their daughter Ryan?" He scoffed, setting his tray down at the end of the table and sitting.

"Really?" Ryan gave him an unamused look, resting her arms on the table. "My brother goes by Stiles, and you're questioning me?"

"Whatever." Jackson shook his head, Ryan rolling her eyes and stabbing at her corn.

"So I heard they're saying it's some kind of animal attack." Danny changed the subject, taking a bite of his apple. "Probably a cougar?"

"I heard mountain lion." Jackson leaned back in his seat, crossing his leg over his knee. Ryan shook her head, looking down at her tray to try and hide her annoyance.

"A cougar is a mountain lion." Lydia interrupted, her boyfriend giving her a confused look. She suddenly changed her tone of voice and facial expression, acting clueless. "Isn't it?"

"Who cares?" Jackson scoffed, shaking his head. "The guy's probably some homeless tweaker who's gonna die anyway."

"Actually I just found out who it is." Stiles spoke up, his phone in his hands. He leaned forward, holding it so everyone could see. "Check it out."

It was a video from the news, their father on the screen.

"The sheriff's department won't speculate on details of the incident but the victim, Garrison Meyers, did survive the attack. Meyers was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition."

"I know this guy." Scott stuttered, grabbing the phone from his hands.

"You do?"

"Yeah, when I used to take the bus back when I lived with my dad." Scott said, looking up. "He was the driver."

"Can we talk about something slightly more fun, please?" Lydia sighed, waving her fork in the air boredly. "Like, where are we going tomorrow night?"

With those words Ryan began to tune out, taking a sip of her water. Her eyes wandered over to where Isaac was sitting, the boy raising an eyebrow. Ryan just rolled her eyes and shrugged, Isaac giving her a small smile.

"In fact, I'm a great bowler." Scott's voice broke her distraction, her missing most of the conversation. "Right Ryan?"

"Hmm?" Ryan looked up, everyone at the table starting at her. She cleared her throat, nodding slowly. "Yeah. He's good at that. Bowling."

Stiles gave her a wide eyed look, Ryan just giving him the same one and holding up her hands in defense.

_________________________

Not Edited

I'm so exhausted, senior year sucks

(I lied, the funny chapter isn't here yet lol)

Vote and comment

Brea xx