11; Or Worse-Grounded

"What are you doing tonight?"

"Well," Ryan sighed, shutting her locker and leaning back against it. "Scott has a date thing with Allison, and Stiles is probably gonna be out doing something stupid, so I'm free. Why?"

"I thought maybe we could hang out." Isaac suggested, Ryan raising her eyebrows. This made him clear his throat, looking down at the ground. "To study."

"Isaac." She paused, a grin growing on her face as she picked a piece of lint off of his sweater. "You don't need to use studying as an excuse to hang out with me."

"Right." He cleared his throat again, his face heating up as he scratched the back of his neck. "Would you like to hang out?"

Ryan puckered her lips for a moment, looking up at the ceiling as if she was deep in thought. Isaac's eyes widened nervously, before she laughed and nudged his arm. "Of course I would."

"Cool." Isaac sucked in a sharp breath, trying to calm his nerves. The bell rang, making them look up. "Well, text me your address and I will.. just kidding, don't do that. I've been to your house, I have that already."

"Cool." Ryan repeated, biting softly into her bottom lip as the corners of her mouth tugged up into a smile. She turned on her heel and walked to class, clutching her binder to her chest.

She slid into her seat, still smiling like an idiot as she set her binder onto the desk. Lydia noticed, giving her an annoyed look. "What's your deal?"

"Nothing." Ryan shook her head, the smile still not leaving her face. "Just having a good day."

Scott sat next to her, but she didn't even notice. He could hear her pulse racing, but it was more in excitement than anything else.

About twenty minutes into class Scott went to the bathroom, and Ryan felt a tap on her shoulder. She let out a long sigh, turning around. "What do you want, Greenberg?"

"I was wondering if you wanted a brownie." Ryan couldn't hear the boys a few seats down snickering, knowing something she didn't. "My uh, mom made them."

"What's the catch?" She narrowed her eyes, Greenberg just putting up his hands defensively and shaking his head. "Sure."

Greenberg reached into his bag and handed it to her, biting into his cheek to suppress his laughter. She took it, looking down at the smiley face sticker that was sealing the plastic wrap. She unzipped one of the smaller pockets in her back pack, sliding it in.

•••

Ryan smoothed down her sweater in the mirror, biting down on the inside of her cheek. It had been her moms sweater, and it wasn't really something she wore often. Before she could decide to change the doorbell rang, causing her to jump.

She ran down the stairs, her heel slipping on one of the steps near the bottom. She fell back on her ass, sliding down the last three stairs. She winced, jumping up and darting towards the door.

Ryan opened it, tucking her hair behind her ear and trying to hide the fact that she was breathing so hard. Isaac looked down at her, scratching his elbow nervously.

"Come in." Ryan tried to sound calm and collected, but she was freaking out on the inside. She stepped back, letting Isaac come inside and shutting the door. "I'm gonna make popcorn, just one question."

"Go for it."

"Do you like The Office?" Ryan asked, Isaac grinning at her.

"I love The Office." Isaac nodded, following her into the kitchen. He watched as she opened up the pantry and grabbed a bag of popcorn, moving over to the microwave. She opened the microwave and threw the bag in, pressing a few buttons and shutting it.