Chapter 4: Peas in a Pod

All I could see above me were dark leaves and the speckling of light between their edges. A pretty image, though not the most inspiring. It drew me to a darker time as we walked. A time before, on Develeon. My father's sunken gaze. How he used to look up too. After he'd taken her away from himself. Done this to himself. As I now have as well. Done this to myself. To think I used to believe we had nothing in common. 

I grit my teeth. 

Is there really nothing I can do? The leaves blow with the wind above. Shocking considering its stale down here. Humidity like a musky swamp. The smell a mix of Alpha Uchwair's poorly chosen scent concealer and rotting flesh in the distance. East of us. We continued west though, allowing some of that odor to fade with each step. I'd rather be like that flesh. My chances of anything better were so low. Near impossible. Maybe that's what I should do then. Attempt for a quick end once more. Yes, I think that's what I'll do. 

I revert to staring ahead of us. My fingers finally relax. No longer gripping into my palm. Satisfied with my decision. My newest plan. Now I just need to get ready for it. Relaxing as much as I can. Strategizing out the run. How my fist will slam against whose ever's face dares to take me away. I'll just look forward and past them at nothing at all. Delaying the omega pull. Or maybe I'll focus on the leaves if they are still around. 

Then I'll just wait for them to kill me after the crack of their jaw. 

Attacking like that will definately ensure a speedy death. Especially since they should be so quick to kill. Habit and all. I chuckle slight. 

Alpha Uchwair growls. I growl back. 

He grimaces, "You're making it really hard for me to feel guilty at all in this you know?" 

Is that so? I want to laugh even more. Though I probably shouldn't do that. No, I keep looking forward at the all the trees. 

I bluntly reply, "Didn't know you were contemplating guilt at all. Shouldn't you be more thinking of your son?" Our  pace quickens.

He answers, "Always. But my son isn't why I did this." A hint of red aura surrounds his skin.

He's lying. The anger gives it away. But I'll play along. 

"Was it the rules?" I question.

Alpha Uchwair's tongue clicks against the roof of his mouth. 

"Yes." He remarks.

A good excuse I suppose. It doesn't stop me from throwing a little jab anyways. My words expel  out in the rudest manner, laced with judgement.

"So even here they're stringent to those, yet you terra wolves like to ignore context, we don't."

He responds back, angry. 

"Even if I cared for the back story there's nothing that could excuse your sister out of this."

"You mean m-"

"Cut the bullshit." 

We almost got into a little argument there. I try to calm it down. 

"Fine," I press, "though this is about your son isn't it? Don't deny it like a coward." 

I can feel the change in his stance. The turn of this conversation so swift after the words left my mouth. Alpha Uchwair sighs a deep sigh. The red aura no longer flashing. A turquoise aura instead. Depression? I can hear his lips clamp shut for but a second. As if hesitating on what he was going to say next. 

"Really... I was going to send him here originally. He's why this trade had to occur in the first place." 

I twist around and give him a quick look directly in the eyes. 

"So your son was like my sister..."

"Worse." 

His mouth clamps shut again. Our pace slows. I almost fear this Alpha may have a breakdown before my eyes. So I try and lighten the mood. 

My words come out just as rude as before, "Well... now I feel less sorrow for you then. Maybe he would have killed her if she hadn't him?" Getting my hint, he plays along just like I have this entire conversation. 

He jokes, completely serious, "Without getting caught of course."

I wave my hands up at his response. Dramatically and human like. Relaxing even more so.

"Surrre." I joke. 

He chuckles now a soft slow rumble of noise. It pulls at my chest.

Hopefully, my plan doesn't get him killed too. But maybe he'll find the peace so craved by those who suffer. With this life of such turmoil. 

The sky is a little turquoise now as well.

We walk at an even speed once more. Not another sentence is spoken for a while. I continue to plan out my attack. I don't pay much attention more to what Alpha Uchwair does, but I can't help to notice the increased depth in the sound of his feet as they hit the ground. The stiffness and stress. It doesn't show on his aura, but it didn't need to.

We were almost there.