Chapter 20: Voices in the Dark

I let my fingers brush against one of the older paintings closest to the door. The wood in the corner of my eye while the rest of my gaze was fixed on the aged but dust free canvas colored with bright and pale blues. Only hinting one thing as the colors danced around a grayed scene of tall grasses and nearly black blood. 

Fire. 

At the very center of it all was just an empty spot, a circle of empty land no bigger than a couple patches of the grass. The whole scene was done in a way that looked empty but captivating. Almost like it was trying to pull you in to its reaches just to leave you there on that lonely patch. Enraptured by the flames and pain. 

I commented, giving Death a quick look, "This one is oddly specific." 

She nods. 

"That's where I was found..." she explained with a blank look on her face, "at least that's what my par-the humans told me." I gave her another look, but this time refused to look back at the art as the realization hit me. 

That's how she got her name. 

My lip tilted just a little down and I raised my hand up to cover it. 

It wasn't just a play with the human words... it was exactly as it was meant to be. Giving her a name like that. My teeth clenched at the thoughts. So cruel.

A low growl escaped me, but I covered it up with a chuckle as I raised my hand out to her. Her eyes shimmered but she just sighed at me while giving a careless smile. Jokingly flirtatious. I hid my hurt for her with another softer chuckle. 

She starts walking toward me and so I drop my hand. Quickly raising the other in the opposite direction so that I can open the door for her. 

"Let's go back and relax more at Xiang's." I offer. 

Death whispers, "Yes Alpha." Then she walks past me back out into the wilderness. I step out and close the door behind us before catching up with her. We haphazardly slide down the angled ground, neither of us caring for if we were to fall. If we just shift we can avoid getting injured. 

If only that could solve all of our problems

Just the thought brought a cold shiver down my spine. I look back at Death's face. Her eyes staring out in the distance, but her mouth relaxed as we stumble down. Being a were seemed to be the source of all of her problems. 

I hop a bit to get slightly ahead of her. Maybe one day I could take her to Devaleon and show her all the beautiful things that come with our life. Teach her what it really is. Though she'd probably scoff at that. She's already toughed through enough. I guess she doesn't need me to try and meddle. 

Suddenly I feel Death touch my shoulder. She's giving me a slow glare but also using a bit of alpha magic to keep me from speeding ahead so far. 

"Sorry." I whisper. 

She just shakes her head and gives me another smile. We continue moving in sync down until we finally reach the level ground of the greener forest. The night hides most of the color, but that only amplifies what hides in between. 

I stiffen up immediately. Noticing a figure further in among the trees. 

"See that?" I point out, nodding toward it. 

Death chuckles, "Who cares? She's not coming at us, we'll ignore her unless she shifts at us." 

She? 

Is Death blind?! 

I do a double take just to make sure my sight isn't playing with me. Staring down the figure as it walks at the same pace as us through the forest. It was far off but that was most definitely the figure of a male, but it was hiding it's magic. Maybe like the girl I kil-

Yes, he's definitely hiding it.

Though as I look back at Death I don't want to tell her. If she knew, she'd definitely want to fight. Want me to fight.  Do it again. 

I sigh, but grab Death's hand and try to get her to walk faster. Hoping to avoid this situation as quick as I could. Maybe if I had to, but I could use that magic? Though what would they think of me if they knew what I could do? If I did it. 

I never thought I would desire to use it like I do now, but then I wonder if that might be in part why it was forbidden. 

"Well that's life." I think aloud. 

Death ignores me. Her eyes only focused on getting home. A loud sigh escapes me as I relax my grip and let go of her. Shooting gentle glances back at the man still following us. I keep my stance confident and like Death, I pretend not to care. I need to keep my head strong and just continue to do what I must. Regardless of the consequence. If I can live with the pull, then I can live with anything. Even these terrible emotions. 

My breath comes out ragged, the only thing giving away the frustration I'm trying to hide. Death still doesn't notice and has even started to walk just barely a pace or two ahead of me. 

It's then the figure turns to finally look at us. The eyes of a dragon look back. I grimace, shooting him a firm glare, but my hand starts to shake. Remembering before, how terrifying this beast could be. He waves at me, beckoning I come to him. Just out of Death's sight. 

I force my eyes away and start to stare toward home too. Running to catch up with Death and then past her. Using my full speed to completely distract her. 

"What the hell?" She yells, trying to chase after me. 

I can't let her see. If she realizes its him I'll lose her for sure. I barely hear the sounds of a threatening snarl coming from the weredragon. A sound I'm sure Death missed too due to my sudden speed burst. My feet hit the grass dangerously strong. Leaving tracks along the way. 

Giving away just enough that Death can keep up. 

Fighting that man would be impossible. That night many suns before showed me that. 

I push harder to run faster. 

A/N: Sorry about the delay in posting. >.< Let me know if anything is desired to make up for it! lol :D