Chapter 9: Unbelievable

The sound of bugs hitting against wood slowly drudged me out of my sleep. Even though my eyes open, I still stretch and try to ignore the inevitable moment that I'd need to get up. More loud sounds, the clanging of pans, the smell of cooked meat, someone chewing with their mouth open. Suddenly I feel a hand push against my head in haste but still with enough force to slightly hurt. I swat at the hand lazily and miss. Too tired to really care. 

"Yo everyone's talking about how your our Alpha now-" Death, wait what is she saying? "It's great!" I shoot up out of my daze. Sitting up and finding her sitting mere centimeters from me. If I'd moved more carelessly I would have slammed right into her... and her steak. 

The mass of ridiculously overcooked meat  tilted over the edge of the way too small plate, she bit into it again in an attempt to keep it from falling off. Her eyes had a glazed over look that should have been reserved for more private matters than her apparent exhilaration from eating. I let out a aggravated sigh.

"Stop talking nonsense Death, and what the hell is with that monstrosity on your plate?"

Death takes another bite. Ignoring me and the fact that she had a face full of food she continues her drivel. 

"An Om--ega for a Clan Alpha-- and a mate of the be--st of our own! Perfect So-ution to our little prob-em!" I spin around, looking away from her. Still a bit flabbergasted at what she was saying and how she was behaving.

I spit out, "That's impossible, he was joking... I forgot he even said that it's so ridiculous. And why are you being so weird? Aren't you supposed to be kind of badass? Your name is Death right?"

At my comment Death drops her food, it makes a loud clang sound as it hits the floor. So she must have been the one making that ruckus too.  

"Oh now you point out my name, just trying to piss me off?" She grumbles. 

I roll my eyes pointing behind me to where I assume she let the food land. 

With a sharp tongue I answer,"No I'm trying to get you to stop--that." 

Death's voice switches to a softer tone, "That's not how they eat in Develeon?" She asks.

I turn back around to look at her. Her Alpha demeanor is shrunken in comparison to her obvious shame and the sharp color of embarrassment flashing against her skin.

I point out the obvious.

"That's not how they eat anywhere... What are you a boar?"

Her face turns a strong red against her skin. 

She jokes, "You are what you eat? Heh."  Making the most awkward smile I've ever seen. I'm amused, but worn at the same time. Just now remembering again what she had said. Alpha? Of the Lor Clan? How could Xiang even let such bullshit spill from his mouth. 

I turn my gaze to her shoulders. My words come out dry. 

"Where's Xiang?"

I can see Death's body tense nervously. Even more unbecoming of an Alpha werewolf. This whole time she's been acting extremely out of character for her kind.

Acting.

Realization hits me, I shoot her a glare. The pull jolts me down but not before I suddenly feel her fingers pressed against my skull in the motion of a spell. Before I can get another word out she shocks me with bolt of magical energy so strong my eyes shoot close for a second.

What the-

Death starts talking again, "Well before we couldn't pick an Alpha cause well everyone's too Alpha like, except you now, so yeah, and it's not lame that you can fight, didn't know Omega's could do that-" I push her hand away and rub my head. Annoyed.

I snap, "Most Terra wolves don't." 

She ignores my snark. Getting up, but leaving the food on the floor. Her arms cross. She looks around the room before speaking once more.

"Anyways Alpha Shorty-" I step up too and place my hand on her mouth. Shooting a glare at her chest.  My words come out even more salty.

"Yeona. Seriously this is impossible. I need to talk to hi-" Death puts her hand over my mouth then stands on her tippy toes so I can no longer reach hers. 

"Nothing's impossible Alpha, plus he's... on assignment so let's do an orientation for now with a little 'Clan Alpha Responsibilities' tidbit as well." 

She lets me go and steps back. This time an intimidating Alpha stare down directed right at me. Daring me to keep pushing. Obviously she must be tired too. I let out a short sigh of defeat.

"You're not asking are you Death?"

She growls, "I'm not, Alpha."

In that tone. My night, she's serious. I give up, for now.

"Fine, let's do it." 

"That's the spirit."