Chapter 19: If it Wasn't True

We walked hand in hand through the north side of the plush evergreen forest surrounding the land. Far more welcoming the further we moved inward, scratching against our skin like the nails of a playful cat. Though our steps were swift as we trekked through, ignoring the gentle call of earth's nature. It was incredibly relaxing compared to Devaleon's forests which were filled with all kinds of aggressive creatures. Here we were the Apex predator without question, everything else just whimsical prey. Silent in fear at the sound of us crushing various twigs and leaves with each drop of our feet. Our gait equal in boldness, though I had to step quicker than Death. Her legs far longer than I. 

I surprised myself with how quickly I had to force myself to try and be accepting of what just occurred instead of being able to let it come naturally. Continuing to have to remind myself that this was nature, what needed to be done. Our plan all along. Killing others. I'd been so bold before when I hadn't yet committed the act, assuming I'd be like the other Weres', unaffected. Maybe that was just how they portrayed it, for I felt far too much right now, only able to use my environment around me to be able to barely move forward. Was that the omega in me? The weakness of my heart? Well it was better off gone. 

My grip tightened around Death's and she began to almost pull me as we switched directions eastward and at an angle. Going up a not very steep mountain covered with even more dense trees. With my free hand I pressed against the bark to push forward faster. My lips pursed together as my eyes fixed into a hard glare. I started to hit the bark with my fist as I gained more traction, yet just as more tension filled my movements Death jerked me violently toward her. Stopping me. A low sigh escaped her lips as I stiffened further, stumbling with her increasing pace. 

Although awkward with our now uneven movement, we did eventually reach the place Death was leading us to. A thick red stone house with a grey stone roof. 

"This is mine." Death exclaims.

I don't respond and just continue to hold her hand as she leads me inside. Her opening the door with some simple magic, so we don't walk into it. 

It opens with ease, showing it was used regularly. Inside too are more signs of frequent life. A near spotless room covered from wall to wall with works of art on canvas. Not painted, nor drawn with finer tipped devices, more so with something rugged but deep. Similar to oil rubbed across in such an elegant way even the finest of details showed vivid. I looked from canvas to canvas with awe at each unmistakably beautiful piece. Almost being reminded of Devaleon with all of the vivid greens, blues, purples, and various shades of gray that covered the art. Voided of any color even slightly reminiscent of the sun. Even the blood on some of the images of bones hidden throughout the scenery took on a more ashen color. Too like some of the creatures on Devaleon. Though I knew since I first met Death that she'd never been to my home world. 

There was another reason the art was of strictly cold colors. Although enchanting like the ocean, I doubt the reason would be so inviting. 

I point at the canvas still on the easel. Currently just the color of various grays looking like the beginning of a rabbit sleeping on its side in a background of barren dirt and various seeds fallen about. My face reveals nothing. Death sighs loud, while staring from the artwork to me, then lets go of my hand as she sits on the stool nearby. 

"You already know what this place is, don't you Yeona?" Her eyes keep dashing from me to the partially complete rabbit. 

I nod. 

"It's predictable. Earth culture expects it." My words drawl out, as I feel my eyes get a little wet. 

Death glares. Her grip firm on the wood of the stool. Another much louder sigh escapes her.