Chapter 8: Scratching through Graves

I'm freezing. Like I'd been sleeping in snow. I could feel it everywhere. From my neck to my toes. So cold. Tingling too, like ice picks being stabbed into every crevice of my bones. A sensation I wouldn't wish on anyone. Almost like the edge of death. But I wasn't. Shocking, as that blade should have killed me.

My body jerks just before my eyes shoot open. The first thing I see is Xiang's calm face. His smooth lips barely tilted in a frown. 

I can hear voices too. 

"How could you let that dragon piece of escape? He tried to kidnap his mate!" 

"She's awake now, Death hush down with your red voice!"

"What?! Let's talk elsewhere." 

The tingling dies out and sensation in my limbs return. Yet still I'm chilled. I try to move my hand to get up, but Xiang's warm dry fingers cover it, stopping me. It's then I realize I was completely soaked in ice water. His other hand pressing dry cloths against my skin further validated my epiphany. I try to get up again but slip from the moisture. Xiang catches me and helps me sit up. Using the cloth to dry my bare back now. His irises had a slight shine to them while he looked down at me with his chin tilted upward and his lips pursed together. Already my strength was returning. With each spot dried, warmth and weightlessness tickled at my skin reminding me what it is like to be so alive. So far away from the moments ago in which death was much closer. 

Suddenly Xiang speaks. 

"I told you Yeona, someone's got it out for you."

I slap away his freehand and then the one with the cloth. Then snatch some dry cloths from the floor, drying myself instead. I dry much more vigorously than he had. Quicker. 

Under my breath I mumble, "My life's been shit before I met you, don't think you're any special."

He takes the cloths from me, tossing it far out of reach. Then suddenly picks me up. Before I can protest he has me laid in the bed, throwing the covers over me softly. Tucking the edges against my arms and legs. 

"I won't." He says. 

Immediately I unruffle his work. Making the sheets and comforter more loosely over me, less restrictive, as I turn to my side and continue to look at him. But he's already at the door, giving me one last acknowledgement of his existence before leaving me here. The door is wide open. I can see him walking to a sitting area and sitting down. Facing away from me beside his hand holding his head up. He looks so tired. Maybe more so then me. 

I could easily leave. 

I mean, he almost got me killed. It makes sense I'd want to. But really, it was my fault. I didn't think. Though honestly, I kind of did. 

I had a split moment I could have escaped and let him kill that half-breed dragon were. I just didn't. I don't know why.  Instinct? It surely wasn't the omega pull. 

Whatever. Looking at him is making me tired. I turn around and face the wall. Closing my eyes quickly and forcefully. 

Soon sleep overtakes me.  I forget everything else.