Chapter 22: Forked Tongue

I could feel the strong yawn begging to release as I ran along the edge of our territory alone. Running in my wolf form just in case. I don't know why it was thought to be a good idea, but to my own surprise I agreed without complaint as Xiang suggested it. Embarrassingly caught off guard by the gentle touch of his hand against my waist as he had spoken earlier this morning. 

I couldn't tell how I felt though, with the touch and the soft green aura that for a moment flashed against him like the eyes of a prey animal accepting its fate. I dare not even speak the meaning of it or mention it, hoping no one else noticed. Worse I touched his wrist as soon as the colors washed over him. 

It ruined my morning. Something like that happening so nonchalant. Like lightening striking with no storm in sight.

My paws press against the mud near the water. The memory unable to leave no matter how fast I moved. The soft skin fighting the glare contradicting everything around him. 

How could he feel that so soon?  With such intensity. 

If I could run. Maybe I would. Mates didn't need to feel that way. Especially toward someone like me. 

The growl escaped my lips before I could stop it. The thoughts never leaving. Cold air filled my lungs as soon as I calmed my voice, but my ears turned rightward alert. Sounds of mud sticking to shoes stepping my way. 

An ever familiar voice speaking. 

"No one ever said it'd look as beautiful as spring leaves. Couldn't control yourself Yeona?"

I raise my lip so my teeth bare out as I snarl his way. 

"Don't speak my name like you know me. I'm tired of your games."  My arms shake but I ignore them. A pant sneaks out giving off a much nicer appearance to him. The sharp jab in my chest much harder to push aside.

Each muscle in his arm ripples in tension as his eyes glow my way. The dragon were again. 

It really was stupid of me to go alone. He could kill me in an instant, but they didn't know how much he had been tracking me. I told no one. I don't know why. Really I did... but I dare not admit that either. Feelings are far better kept inside if they show your neck, as they say. 

He laughs, but doesn't make a move. 

I step back. 

"I won't let you run this time." He says.

I get ready to attack.

"You know that's a bad idea."

"I don't care."

He sighs. I can see a small grimace show on his face. I step back once more.

"Don't" He threatens. 

My chest is beating violently. The omega pull rips through me and stops me from even being able to make an open attacking stance. There's no way. I look into his eyes and his scar. So much strength. So shielded.  His eyes reflected back at me as if they were my own. If my scars could show, would they be as distracting as his? 

I take a deep breath and give in. 

"Why won't you leave me alone?" I ask as I shift out of my wolf form. Folding my arms over each other defensively. 

He nods to the right. Then finally walks my way. His hand outstretched in a welcome manner.  His words coming out whisper quiet, but firm. 

"I want to take you and make you free, with me."  

I want to laugh at his repetition. Does it really make things true?